In-ear monitors

• Members

I'm doing a little research for the singer in our band who want to get a good set of In-Ear Monitors for $800 or less (preferably less).

He would love to be able to control the mix of instruments and his voice, but I think a system like that would be pretty tricky and expensive. From what I gather, most entry-level In-ear monitor systems only have an overall volume control that adjusts the volume of the mix being sent to them. Is this correct? Is there a possibility that individual mic volumes can be adjusted (ie. guitar, drums, bass)?

the Carvin system looks cosmetically identical to one of the Nady units, but the Nady can be had for about $30 less.

Then you move up a few hundred to the Shure PSM200 series. Are these worth twice the price as the Carvin/Nady?

How about Sennheiser?

...Everything else seems to break the $1000 mark. Any help would be appreciated as far as what features to look for and any other general advice. Thanks!

• Members

Wow, I just did a search and came up on tons of useful info. It looks as if we should stay clear of the Nady/Carvin stuff. The Shure PSM200 seems to be the one to get.

Now I need to really narrow it down between the PSM200, PSM400, or maybe the Sennheiser...

• Members

Shure PSM400 does EXACTLY what you ask. It has a "more me" feature (essentially it breaks band on one channel - left for instance, and you on other channel - right, but it comes to you mono so you don't get the panning).

FILAMENT AUDIO around $700.

I don't know that the PSM200 can do this. I believe it is a mono IEM system.

• Moderators

Originally posted by abzurd

Shure PSM400 does EXACTLY what you ask. It has a "more me" feature (essentially it breaks band on one channel - left for instance, and you on other channel - right, but it comes to you mono so you don't get the panning).

FILAMENT AUDIO
around $700.

I don't know that the PSM200 can do this. I believe it is a mono IEM system.

That's correct.

PSM400 is my favorite too, though I also have and use some PSM200s which are very good for the price.

Terry D.

• Moderators

Originally posted by telekaster

Then you move up a few hundred to the Shure PSM200 series. Are these worth twice the price as the Carvin/Nady?

How about Sennheiser?

They're worth at least twice the price of the Nady/Carvins. It's hard to put an exact number to it when you're dividing by zero (Nadys are worse than useless, IMO). :D

I actually own a set of Nadys, by the way. :mad:

Sennheisers are pretty decent, their weak spot last time I tried them was in the ear buds. I've heard, though, that they've been redesigned since then.

I stick strictly with Shure because they're very good and very reliable, and I expect Shure will be making them long after the competitors have folded the tent. Shure service is also very good. And finally, when you're on the road, it's much more likely that you'll be able to borrow a transmitter or belt pack from another band, or buy a replacement at a music store in another town. That's worth quite a lot to me. :)

Terry D.

• Members

I haven't tried the PSM200 series, but we use multiple 400 and 600 units for almost three years now, and have been very happy with them.

The 400's are a great unit. I think the 600's have juuuusssst a little better sound quality (subjective), and some features on the transmitter I like better than the 400's.

But the flexibility of the 400's multiple channel selection and better price have outweighed us buying anymore 600's for now.

Good stuff!

• Members

Another vote for Shure. I've been using the PSM 400 for over a year and am quite happy. I've tried, and own, the E1, E2, and E5 earphones. Any one of them is acceptable, although I've settled on using E5 for stage, E2 for portable audio listening, and E1 for spare. Crazy? Yep.

Mitchell

www.trickdogband.com

• Moderators

Originally posted by Island

because it is ethernet- based the sound quality is alot cleaner than the shure system.

No, because it is wired the sound quality is a bit better. Shure makes wired versions of their IEMs also.

Terry D.

• Members

Good point Terry.

We were using the wired PSM 400 beltpak's for about a year before we got the hearbacks and there is a noticable difference in quality. Our old system required a long run of analog cabling from FOH do the beltpak, whereas in the hearback system, the signal stays digital until you plug your IEM's into your mixer.

I have A/B'd them (without the long cable run) and there definitly is a difference, the PSM beltpaks add some hiss and hf loss (possibly due to compression?) that isn't present in the hearback signal.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Island

Good point Terry.

We were using the wired PSM 400 beltpak's for about a year before we got the hearbacks and there is a noticable difference in quality. Our old system required a long run of analog cabling from FOH do the beltpak, whereas in the hearback system, the signal stays digital until you plug your IEM's into your mixer.

I have A/B'd them (without the long cable run) and there definitly is a difference, the PSM beltpaks add some hiss and hf loss (possibly due to compression?) that isn't present in the hearback signal.

It is probably me, but I can not find anything about transmitter and beltpacks/receivers on the Hear TEchnologies website.

What do you have and where did you get them?

• Members

We're using the Aviom ethernet-based monitor system and I love it. I have up to 16 channels of choices and I can mix it the way I want it. Need more me, just turn it up to my heart's delight. Someone too loud to hear the sax? Turn him down. The controller fastens to my music stand and is very convenient. I'm using wired E-5s and the (stereo) fidelity is fantastic. You run the wireless transmitter directly off the individual control head.

• Members

Originally posted by J the D

We're using the Aviom ethernet-based monitor system and I love it. I have up to 16 channels of choices and I can mix it the way I want it. Need more me, just turn it up to my heart's delight. Someone too loud to hear the sax? Turn him down. The controller fastens to my music stand and is very convenient. I'm using wired E-5s and the (stereo) fidelity is fantastic. You run the wireless transmitter directly off the individual control head.

I was really interested in those but it seems that for a hub and 4 mixers for 4 people, you're in over $2,500 and then you have to buy transmitters and receivers if you want an IEM system.

In contrast, $1,000 (street price) gets you the Hear Technologies hub and mixers for 4 along with the cables.

• Members

I use the Furman HD6 system. I have the same ethernet cable setup, but only the stereo mix and 4 sub items to mix in per station. I have 4 stations on stage.

The only complaint I have is the extra time it takes to run the cables from box to box when we setup. The limiter is in the rack and the mix sounds fantastic (we use E2's). Each mixer goes for $87.00 and the distribution amp is around $260.00. You aren't gonna get much more bang for the buck than that!

So. If I wanted to go wireless from my personal mixer to a belt pack, are there any options for me other than a Shure system (in which case why would I bother with the Furman system)?

• Members

Hey guys,

I am looking at getting a PSM200 system for rehearsal (leaving it hard-wired), but there's 2 reviews up on the Harmony-Central site saying that it's not a very good product? In particular, one says that if you want to sing out of tune get this product, otherwise get some good floor monitors.

There's a list of FAQs on the Shure website that has a thing about the sound from your vocal chords travelling through the bone in your head and hence you can hear it in your ears, and the site suggests mixing in an audience ambience mike to overcome this problem.

But that aside i'm just wondering if anyone has used this product in a rehearsal room environment, and how did it go?

Cheers

• Members

>>>>>>

It is probably me, but I can not find anything about transmitter and beltpacks/receivers on the Hear TEchnologies website.

What do you have and where did you get them?

There is no transmitter available from hear technologies, you can plug directly in to the personal monitor mixer w/ ear buds or you can plug a wireless unit into tht mixer and you are wired.

The system costs around $800 for the hub, cables, and 4 mixers (ear buds not included). follow the contact link on the website to fiond out where to buy.

We bought an extra hub, we use one group of signals for the vocalists and guitarists and another for the rhythm section, we've been using it for a year, 3-5 gigs a month, 4 rehearsals a month plus some recording dates, we've never had a problem.

• Members

We use the PSM 400 with 2 receivers and 2 different channels in our church band. While I like using the PSMs, the thing I'm not crazy about is the "click" sound that I hear while the music is on...as if the transmitter is trying to "find" a clear channel :(

• Moderators

Originally posted by JulesB

Hey guys,

I am looking at getting a PSM200 system for rehearsal (leaving it hard-wired), but there's 2 reviews up on the Harmony-Central site saying that it's not a very good product? In particular, one says that if you want to sing out of tune get this product, otherwise get some good floor monitors.

There's a list of FAQs on the Shure website that has a thing about the sound from your vocal chords travelling through the bone in your head and hence you can hear it in your ears, and the site suggests mixing in an audience ambience mike to overcome this problem.

But that aside i'm just wondering if anyone has used this product in a rehearsal room environment, and how did it go?

Cheers

(1) Bad reviews? Hmm.... hadn't seen them, I'll check it out. I've used the PSM200s probably as much as anyone, and have a few minor bones to pick with it, but in general I think they're great and can't be touched at the price. Maybe the person who wrote the blurb about singing out of tune has actually been doing that for a long time and just now is able to hear it? ;)

Seriously, though, he's probably talking about the standard headphone "problem" all of us who record people experience. If a vocalist can't hear themself, he or she will often sing flat. However, if they can't hear the band (too much vocal), they will often sing sharp. I have no idea why this is, but I observe it again and again. It's all a matter of getting the volume in the earphones right, which is up to the user.

(2) I'm all for adding an ambient mike. When I first got my PSM400 system, I used an omni condenser mike up on a stand. That actually works pretty well, but is a little odd considering you hear the crowd and stage sound from a point you aren't actually at.

When I got my PSM200 systems, I noticed a 5VDC powered 1/4" input on the belt pack. Although the input can be used to run wired, the 5VDC tipped me off that it was intended for an ambient mike. I hooked up a little Radio Shack lavalier mike I already had and *poof* instant ambient mike. I was able to control the level with the two position gain switch on the beltpack. It was a step up from the (large) omni mike on a stand.

Obviously Shure had that in mind from the start, as they now sell the Ambient Pack as an accessory to the PSM200 system.

(3) I've used the Shure systems in rehearsal a lot. I have a set of v-Drums at the house, so it's possible to practice at "IEM gig volume" late without disturbing the neighbors and their friends, the police. Mostly I use the PSM200s because the PSM400 transmitters are installed in my gig rack that only gets unpacked for shows. The PSM200s I've left portable as we often do little coffee house size shows and I don't carry much gear to those. You could use an ambient mike of some sort for rehearsal, but I find just having the several vocal mikes open in such a small space is good enough to hear anything someone says, at least when they intend for you to hear it.

Terry D.

• Moderators

Originally posted by franchelB

We use the PSM 400 with 2 receivers and 2 different channels in our church band. While I like using the PSMs, the thing I'm not crazy about is the "click" sound that I hear while the music is on...as if the transmitter is trying to "find" a clear channel
:(

I'm not sure what that is, as I've not experienced it. Maybe Matt can comment?

I do know the PSM400 doesn't "channel hop" on its own. Shure has instructions for finding the clearest channel(s) where you do switch around, but only during setup.

Terry D.

• Members

franchelB: I'm not sure what "when the music is on" means. Is there background music playing? Or do you mean "when the unit is on"?

Terry is correct, there is no channel hopping going on. Depending on how many channels of wireless are running, it may be interference. That's why we put in the frequency locater.

For PSM 400: turn all transmitters off. Make sure your receiver is off too. Hold the receiver, press in both buttons, and turn the unit on (while holding the buttons). The antenna on the LCD screen should start scrolling. Plug in the earphones, but don't put them in your ear just yet.

Scroll the cursor to FREQ, and start changing frequencies. out of the earphones you should start to hear white noise. This indicates that the channel is clean/usable. If there is no sound, or intermittent sound, stay away from that channel. If you can't tell, put one of the earphones in your ears with the volume all the way down, the turn it up a tiny bit - it's loud. Again, consistent white noise indentifies clean channels.

-Matt

• Members

Originally posted by Sugarfried

franchelB: I'm not sure what "when the music is on" means. Is there background music playing? Or do you mean "when the unit is on"?

-Matt

Hi Matt,

Yeah, I mean while we're playing music.

We're using 2 receivers: One is Channel A for the instruments, one is Channel B for the vocals...

I'm on Channel A because I play lead guitar. Now, I know my transmitter isn't hopping to other channels; plus it even reads "A" on the LCD.

BUT, I do hear "clicks" every once in a while...I don't know if it's a sign of battery usage or switching frequencies or whatever...like it's trying to find a clearer reception.:confused:

Limiter, EQ, and Mix are all lit up in my transmitter...plus, I keep the mix knob in the middle; though I don't think any of those would contribute to the intermitent clicks. I change batteries every 3 weeks. :confused:

• Members

The only complaint I have is the extra time it takes to run the cables from box to box when we setup

You can get a cheap Ethernet "splitter" box, split the signal coming out of the main box, and then run a separate ethernet cable to each mini-mixer.

-B

Archived