Strange drum sticks- looked like paint paddles?

• Members

Vic Firth "Blades" if I remember correctly. Stick-type handle and "paddle" at the playing end. All plastic. If you use the flat side, it's a little louder than a brush, using the edge of the paddle on cymbals gives a stick-like sound/response albeit much quieter.

More useless info: a guy in Kansas City invented them. He got the idea while painting a house and messing around with the paint stirring sticks he got with the paint. He built a prototype and sold the concept to Vic Firth. Chaaaaaa Ching!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

Vic Firth "Blades" if I remember correctly. Stick-type handle and "paddle" at the playing end. All plastic. If you use the flat side, it's a little louder than a brush, using the edge of the paddle on cymbals gives a stick-like sound/response albeit much quieter.

More useless info: a guy in Kansas City invented them. He got the idea while painting a house and messing around with the paint stirring sticks he got with the paint. He built a prototype and sold the concept to Vic Firth. Chaaaaaa Ching!

The guy that invented these is the drummer in my band. I was thinking, maybe I could invent an air guitar pick. Manufacturing costs would be really low. What do you think?

• Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

I like it, the "air guitar pick".

Small world on the "blades" guy and your band. Hope I got most of my facts somewhere in the ballpark. My folks still live in KC and sent me a KC Star article on the guy.

Yea, you did. Good job.

Archived