Narrowing the field - monitors

• Members

I think I'm just about ready to wrap up the improvements to our sound system at our church (with a contemporary/rock & roll worship service). I still need input/insights on floor (wedge) monitors.

I've been comparing the following:

Community's MVP Series (MVP 28 & MVP 38)

Peavy's TLM series (TLM 2 & TLM 5)

Yorkville Y series (Y112M, Y115M, & Y150M)

The Community's have the liquid cooled horns, the Peavy's have a reputation for ruggedness (so I've heard), and the Yorkvilles seem to be less expensive (by around $50 each) but highly touted.

Any "apples to apples" comparisons out there (sound, reliabilty, longevity, etc.)?

Thanks again for all your help!:)

• Members

I've never used the Yorkvilles or the Peaveys, but I own a pair of Community MVP28s.

They're really good. Very smooth if you drive them with a good amp.

The voice coil - (dustcover? I'm not up to speed on speaker terminology) - e.g. the small circle inside the speaker - is very big on these speakers. I dunno if that's good, but hey!:D

Mine are very small, which is nice for transporting them and on the small stages we play on.

• Members

I'm a Yorkville fan, but with that said, the Performance (Y) series stuff is their lower end and I've heard only marginal reviews their. Certainly if you can listen to them all, that is the best. Otherwise I would go with the Community MVP....I've heard them and they are decent.

• Members

Community may be your best bet. You don't really need ruggedness (Peavey) if it's an install. Also don't really need light weight (Yorkvilles). My experience with those particular Yorkies is not favorable.

• Members

I have (2) PV TLM 112's & (2) TLM 115's. They sound pretty decent. They are an older version. They are lower power than I'd like. They are stand mountable - which is a plus. The specs say 1.4" driver - FYI: that is the diaphram - the exit on the CH3 horn is actually 7/8". It looks like they are still putting the XT HF driver in them... Most of their higher end boxes they used to put the XT in, now they are putting the RX in. A lot smoother.I have know idea what the price is but, it you want PV's, I'd take a step up and

check out the SP 112mx.... I am still undecided on those or the MVP's. The MVP's are not pole mountable. I have been cosidering upgrading to the MVP's. A little smaller, lighter... I use them with a band that plays every weekend - so mobility is more of an issue for me than in your situation. MVP's have had a lot of praise around here. I've never heard the Yorkies...

good luck & let us know what you get!

• Members

Originally posted by SoundtechSD

The voice coil - (dustcover? I'm not up to speed on speaker terminology) - e.g. the small circle inside the speaker - is very big on these speakers. I dunno if that's good, but hey!
:D

Caveat: Don't judge the size of the voice coil by the dust cover. I've seen low-end speakers with huge dust covers that hide a 1" coil. It's just one more way that manufacturers of low-end gear try to fool you. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by RickJ

Caveat: Don't judge the size of the voice coil by the dust cover. I've seen low-end speakers with huge dust covers that hide a 1" coil. It's just one more way that manufacturers of low-end gear try to fool you.
;)

:) I never thought of that. I've just equated little dust covers with wimpy speakers all the time, which most of the time is correct...I bought a 112 Peavey cab for 15 bucks on a whim from a garage sale - the dust cover could be covered up by a quarter! I don't know where that cab is now,

One thing about the Communities - - be VERY VERY careful with the plastic handles and jackplates!

• Members

I've always been a little curious about the Community MVP series. They have relatively low sensitivity ratings, but seem to be well liked by those who have them. Is is just that Community is a little more honest about their ratings than the competition? Is it that SPL is less important when a speaker is producing a good quality sound? New monitors are on list for upgrades at my church this Fall and these are definitely on my shortlist.

Peace,

D

• Members

Originally posted by SteelyD2

I've always been a little curious about the Community MVP series. They have relatively low sensitivity ratings, but seem to be well liked by those who have them. Is is just that Community is a little more honest about their ratings than the competition? Is it that SPL is less important when a speaker is producing a good quality sound? New monitors are on list for upgrades at my church this Fall and these are definitely on my shortlist.

Peace,

D

I have the same question. Bassknave says they are a very good bang for the buck, but apart from the "smooth high end" that is talked about, nothing else about the cabinet is anything to get excited about. I suppose if you put ample power to it, having smooth highs from a "cheap" speaker is pretty exciting in and of itself.

• Members

Originally posted by RickJ

Caveat: Don't judge the size of the voice coil by the dust cover. I've seen low-end speakers with huge dust covers that hide a 1" coil. It's just one more way that manufacturers of low-end gear try to fool you.
;)

That's right... it's not the size of the tool but the quality!

• Members

I just found the Community's at:

:eek:$165ea - MVP28:eek:

:eek:$189ea - MVP38:eek:

The best price I've found for the Y'villes:

$150ea - Y112

$215ea - Y115

Given these minimal price differences (in other words $ is NOT a determining factor in the decision) am I hearing you correctly - that the Community's is the way to go?

:)

• Members

While I've not personally used the Yorkville monitors, I'm a big fan of Yorkville speakers. Check out the following link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23794&item=2543916074

I know the seller of these particular cabinets, and he keeps all his gear in excellent condition. The price might be a plus to you.

Good luck with whatever you pick up.

• Members

Originally posted by madjack

While I've not personally used the Yorkville monitors, I'm a big fan of Yorkville speakers. Check out the following link.

I know the seller of these particular cabinets, and he keeps all his gear in excellent condition. The price might be a plus to you.

Good luck with whatever you pick up.

if I were to recommend any Yorkviulle monitors,, it would be thier top of the line Elite monitors,,,,but they are much more expesnve than what you are looking at..

I think the Community MVP's would probably be the choice in that range....though I believe all would offer reletively similar performance.....try giving them all a physical once-over and a listen...and pick the one YOU like the best....

• Members

I may be mistaken, but if I remember correctly, agedhorse or bassknave had a bad experience with these monitors once. There was a thread about those monitors a while back, I think.

Or I might be thinking of a different brand.

• Members

I may be mistaken, but if I remember correctly, agedhorse or bassknave had a bad experience with these monitors once. There was a thread about those monitors a while back, I think.

Thanks, I found it (again). I remembered the story but not the thread. It was Audiopile and he had a bad experience. Others seem to like them for the price. I would be interested in hearing more opinions.

• Members

Originally posted by preacherman672

Thanks, I found it (again). I remembered the story but not the thread. It was Audiopile and he had a bad experience. Others seem to like them for the price. I would be interested in hearing more opinions.

We sold a LOT of them to small churches and bands with extremely tight budgets,, all I can say about them is that they seemed to give pretty decent sound quality, considering they were VERY inexpensive....

when I personally am in the market for monitors,, I look at product lines well above where you will find those,,, I just figure,, as it is with most really inexpensive stuff,, you get what you pay for....

Archived