Really stupid question about tape...

• Members

Hi all. here's a dumb question. Where can I find good console tape?

I'm sick of duct tape and all the gooey mess that comes with it. I can't find anything good--console or gaffer's tape--at local stores (i'm in the asscrack of wisconsin after all). I'm looking for something in a big roll of 3/4" or 1" console tape, yellow so i can see it quickly, that will stay on and won't leave a sticky mess when i pull it off my mixers and patch bay...and preferrably not at $20 a roll, either.

anyone know a good place to order this? full compass didn't have exactly what i was lookin for which is unusual :eek: is there a big difference in tape for this application or should i suck it up and get the expensive white gfaffer's tape from FC?

also, does anyone use the "tunnel tape" with adhesive only on the edges for taping down cables and snakes? is it worth it?

thanks for bothering with this trifle of a question-

DR :cool:

• Members

I'm like you, I can't find gaffer's tape anywhere. I use white or yellow electrical tape on my consoles. Doesn't leave sticky residue at all. The only problem I have with it is that I carry gel pens in my pockets and electrical tape and gel pens don't agree. Use a nice simple ballpoint and you will be fine with this.

• Members

For white tape to label board input strips, I found Scotch plastic tape at Sears Hardware for $1.69 a roll. They come off clean.

For gaffer's tape, check out www.toursupply.com. The largest seller of touring necessities in this galaxy. (I'm not affiliated, but I have a close friend who's the local rep in my neck of the woods.)

• Members

1) First of all, Ragamuffin, Osh Gosh B'Gosh isn't really the ass crack of Wisconsin. Something like Chippewa Falls. or Rice Lake maybe. But from Chi Town up to Old Milwaukee on over to Mad City is (at least used to be) happenin'.

2) Yes, good, writable, removable white tape is expensive (the best is from 3M...."More More Money".) But cheaper alternatives exist. Try any Art Supply store or larger hardware store. Look for Drafting Tape, or Painter's Tape, or Artist's Tape. You want a paper backed tape that is LOW TACK and can be written on with anything. White is best, brown (masking tape) will work. Use a fine point Sharpie.

• Members

Originally posted by Kennykeys

1) First of all, Ragamuffin, Osh Gosh B'Gosh isn't really the ass crack of Wisconsin. Something like Chippewa Falls. or Rice Lake maybe. But from Chi Town up to Old Milwaukee on over to Mad City is (at least used to be) happenin'.

2) Yes, good, writable, removable white tape is expensive (the best is from 3M...."More More Money".) But cheaper alternatives exist. Try any Art Supply store or larger hardware store. Look for Drafting Tape, or Painter's Tape, or Artist's Tape. You want a paper backed tape that is LOW TACK and can be written on with anything. White is best, brown (masking tape) will work. Use a fine point Sharpie.

Ok, fair enough, there are worse places than oshkosh. i grew up in madison, so oshvegas seems pretty...uh....yeah :p madison's a very cool town. LOL chippewa falls, point taken. one of my rommates is from rice lake. he would definitely agree with the asscrack comment :D

Thanks everyone for the advice and links...much appreciated! :)

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Here's a simple thing to replace console tape. It's WAY EASIER, especially if you change your mind a lot (like I do) or have a hard time keeping your entire series of signal paths perfectly stored in your brain. (yeah right)

I've been using these little guys in my home studio for quite a while now, so I thought I'd start selling them.

little laminated magnetic mixer labels. they look cool, you can write on the blank ones over and over, and they're cheap.

You can grab the standard set on the website, or on ebay.

or CUSTOMIZE your own set on the website. then you can have your band's names on there, or didgeridoo, or whatever you're into.

check it out...

www.MixMagnets.com

here's an action shot.

shot.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by agedhorse

Heads up... they do not work on consoles with aluminim modules!!!

Actually... from what I can gather from the website:

The kit comes with a bunch of stick-on magnets that you can stick to aluminum, plastic, wood... etc... then the labels stick to the stick on magnets... I think.

Cool idea... but I don't think it will replace my board tape and Sharpie... cause it's so much fun to pull the tape off the board at the end of the show... wad it up and hook shot it to the closest garbage can (ritual with me).

• Members

yeah, they're just magnets. so they stick to. . . whatever magnets stick to. metal with ferrous something or other.

I use them on my Yamaha 01V96, and they stick everywhere.

actually from the feedback on ebay and emails I've gotten, the people who have bought them seem to really like them. no non-sticking problems so far.

I mostly like that I can change things easily. instead of scribbling over words on a strip of tape, I can just move tracks to different channels by moving the magnet. and easily keep track of other things like aux sends or "user defined" buttons.

of course most people use tape, have always used tape, and always will use tape. it ain't broke...

for me, these are just easier.

heres a link for free samples if anyone wants to check them out.

www.mixmagnets.com/freesample.htm

• Members

Originally posted by BrianDE

yeah, they're just magnets. so they stick to. . . whatever magnets stick to. metal with ferrous something or other.

I use them on my Yamaha 01V96, and they stick everywhere.

actually from the feedback on ebay and emails I've gotten, the people who have bought them seem to really like them. no non-sticking problems so far.

I mostly like that I can change things easily. instead of scribbling over words on a strip of tape, I can just move tracks to different channels by moving the magnet. and easily keep track of other things like aux sends or "user defined" buttons.

of course most people use tape, have always used tape, and always will use tape. it ain't broke...

for me, these are just easier.

heres a link for free samples if anyone wants to check them out.

www.mixmagnets.com/freesample.htm

Of course, you could always get fridge magnets, glue paper to them, cut them up, write them up and then varnish over the top.

• Members

I guess I'll comment on this, since this thread was brought back from the dead.

I usually use white electrical tape with a Sharpie. It works great, but after a while it will leave a bit of residue. My channels get relabeled a lot, but the monitors and groups are usually the same, so after a while they start to get a little gummy around the edges. But the residue from this tape is nothing like the crap that duct tape, or even masking tape leaves behind. This stuff comes off really easy.

To label cases, I use a paint pen on black gaff tape.

To put signs on cases, I use plastic laminating sheets. It's not perfect, but it's better than packing tape.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

Archived