AKG C414 Opinions...

• Members

Hi all...

I was wondering if anyone here has used the AKG C414 LD condenser, esp. TLII...

Did a search on them and it sounds like they're versatile and quite well-respected over in the recording forum. I was curious about people's thoughts of them here, especially for studio use on male and female vocals, acoustic guitars and other acoustic strings (ukes, violins, banjos, up.bass, etc.) and *posssssibly* used with an Avalon M5 or a halfway decent tube pre in the future...

I've seen some decent prices on used ones, and as some of you know, we're looking to spruce up the project studio, that's why I ask...

I respect all your opinions, good or bad! :)

DR

• Members

Thanks for the replies! Tom, those posts were very helpful, thank you!

I've been reading some very good things about teh 414's....if I find a particularly good price on one, I'll likey snap it up. I need a decent mic for female vox and acoustic instruments, sounds like this is a good all-around choice for my ever-expanding mic cabinet. I was thinking about a BLUE Baby Bottle but I suspect the C414 is a better choice considering my current...lack of variety...I also hear the B/TLII is more respectable than the B/ULS...this true?

:)

• Members

dirtyragamuffin,

I ended up buying the B/ULS. I did not try the B/TLII because guitar center didn't have one. Most of the people on this sight and the other site thought that the B/ULS was the way to go unless everything you do is digital. Since the B/ULS was more the standard , that was the way for me to go since it had been tried and true and this was my first large condenser Mic. If you can listen and compare the two that would be the best bet. But in my comparison testing of the mic's I did compare, I was hard pressed to say any one of these mic's were better. They were just different and I liked them all!! I'll be buying another mic within the next month. My GAS is really flaring up bad now that I've extended my reach into recording !!

Regards,

Tom

• Members

dirtyragamuffin,

Here is one small review of the AKG C414B/ULS vs the TTL :

http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/62600CDE2A2ED769862566880015FFC5

Also take alook at the "Worthy Adversaries " review as well as the review of the Rode's and Shure. Sounds like there are a bunch of different flavors out there that are very good and as expected there is probably no one :"Best" mic.. Let me know how you make out.

Regards,

Tom

• 1 year later...
  • Members

OK, now I'm starting to think about buying one or two 414s. I'm really a live sound guy, so that's where I'd really want a good LDC mic. Right now with the new versions just out there are some OK deals on the older ones - are the older ones essentially the same mic or are there one(s) to avoid?

Archived