Ashly Yay!

• Members

Well, I've been slowly moving out of the midrange ranks as far as equipment goes. The first was an Ashly XR 2001 crossover. It replaced the Peavey XD 2/3/4. The response control is a great feature for tuning in a system and it is a bit more flexible. I just got an Ashly MQX 2310 dual 31 eq. It beats the snot out on the ART 355 I was using. I can't believe I ever bought that thing!! I've also given in to a Soundcraft Spirit Live 4/2 16 channel board, some QSC PLX 1602's, and hopefully some Crown K1's for subs.

All this stuff is a bit pricier than the mid gear I was running, but the SOUND improvement just by having quality gear in the signal chain is worth it. Granted I probably won't get a KT DN360, but for the average club soundman and occasional fesival, it is becoming worth my money and reputation to have "better" names. I charge a tad bit more money than some folks, but on the other hand I'm not running a XXX brand mixer in to a powered head into some OLD cabs. I do still have some Peavey short throw cabs which are great for my purpose and a few Peavey, HEAVY amps, but by getting better outboard, my FOH and Monitors are sounding better than ever.

Just a little rant, sorry. How was I to know what good gear would do to my system!!:D

• Members

Congrats on the new gear!

Boy, I hear ya. I'm in the process of upgrading a project stuido. In the past week I've purchased or am in the process of purchasing an Allen&Heath GL3300-824A, Sytek MPX4Aii pre with Burr Browns on channels 3&4, a whole bunch of studio foam and accessories, monitor stands, etc., I'm getting another LD condenser- probably an AKG C414 *maybe* Neumann TLM103, and two more channels of compression, either a pair of FMR RNC's or a Drawmer DL241, and a bunch of cables once I assess what I need.

Costs more than low-end or MI stuff (aside from the RNCs), but I'm hoping this start on improvements will pay off! For now, my live rig is still mainly MI, but the good news is much of the studio upgrades can be used in live sound if I desire, especially the console of course, the Sytek and compressors, so that's a plus.

I figure I may as well do these things while I'm young and stupid :D

Best of luck with the new gear! Sounds like the Souncraft snafu worked out for you?

-DR

• Members

I still have to wait till the end of the month on the Soundcraft, it was the last one in the warehouse till they ship more. I have two gigs next month so I'm waiting. My music store has a 24 channel Soundcraft if I really need it.

• Members

I would gladly trade a "perfect" FOH speaker system for one that is less than ideal if the mics were top of the line

Maybe if you were using a "free with karaoke system" microphone on that perfect FOH speaker system. My experience has been that, with all things being average, the speakers have been the most important factor in the sound...vocals included! As a singer, I'd gladly sing into an SM58 with a perfect FOH speaker system (top line JBL, Meyer, EAW, etc) than sing into a great mic (Neumann KMS105, whatever?) into a Yamaha Club system, Peavey SP, EV eliminator, etc.

Not trying to be argumentative, but my experience has been differant. I'm curious what others think?

Frank

• Members

Originally posted by flanc

Maybe if you were using a "free with karaoke system" microphone on that perfect FOH speaker system. My experience has been that, with all things being average, the speakers have been the most important factor in the sound...vocals included! As a singer, I'd gladly sing into an SM58 with a perfect FOH speaker system (top line JBL, Meyer, EAW, etc) than sing into a great mic (Neumann KMS105, whatever?) into a Yamaha Club system, Peavey SP, EV eliminator, etc.

Not trying to be argumentative, but my experience has been differant. I'm curious what others think?

Frank

Its truly amazing how good a pair of Yorkville EF-508 Elite speakers makes you sound compared to anything comparably priced.

Archived