Is this a decent PA? (If not, what should I get?)

• Members

Well, we got a pair of Peavey 2x15 w/ horn 1000w RMS 2000w max @ 4 ohm mains for 800 bucks.

I'm buying a power amp for the mains, hopefully at around 1000w @ 4 ohms per side (I found a Samson that fits this need four around 750 bucks). Any other suggestions for the main amp, under 800 bucks?

Then our bassist is buying a 12-24 channel mixer (we don't even need 12, but we figure we may as well get it incase it ever calls for it, especially since 90% of the gigs we play are just rented out halls or the like, because there is no music scene around here and ZERO clubs unless you drive to DC or Baltimore every weekend, so we'll provide the PA for the other bands in the area when we play shows with them to get in good with them. We've found some mixers of this sized new and used (we're looking at Berringer right now, about 250-300 bucks).

The other guitarist is buying a small power amp and a single monitor (150 w per side amp, 1x12 Peavey monitor, 200 bucks and 150 bucks)

The drummer is buying three of the same 1x12 Peavey monitors (150 each).

That's about 2650, AND the singer (who got the mains) only paid for half, his dad paid for 400 (seems like I'm the one who always gets ripped when we pay for stuff like this or do any work, I'm left doing the most )

We don't have much cash, we were hoping to spend less than 400-500 each (the bassist and I are splitting the difference of the power amp).

• Members

Well, if I get that amp it isn't! :-p

Anyway, if you would have read, I said that we didn't actually pay 400 of it, so it's really only 2250 out of out pockets :rolleyes:

Can anyone else vouch for that amp? Any other ideas? What's the warranty on that amp? Lemme know!

• Members
Originally posted by Mr_GoodBomb

Well, if I get that amp it isn't! :-p

Anyway, if you would have read, I said that we didn't actually pay 400 of it, so it's really only 2250 out of out pockets
:rolleyes:

Can anyone else vouch for that amp? Any other ideas? What's the warranty on that amp? Lemme know!

I thought you were talking about a little bigger system when you posted in the other forum. Anyway,Audiopile here sells that amp. He is a real straight shooter. I wouldn't hesitate buying something from him. Send him a PM. BTW,is the model number of your PA cabs a secret? And are you planning to get subs initially or wait a while?

• Members

Do I know the model numbers offhand? No, no I don't. They're 150 w unpowered or 75 powered, and we're getting the unpowered models. If you look at the specs and names and match it up you can easily find it. Subs arn't a bit deal to me at this point. We're running 15s in our mains...

• Members
Originally posted by Mr_GoodBomb

Do I know the model numbers offhand? No, no I don't. They're 150 w unpowered or 75 powered, and we're getting the unpowered models. If you look at the specs and names and match it up you can easily find it. Subs arn't a bit deal to me at this point. We're running 15s in our mains...

No,I meant your main cabs. They make different lines,including a "DJ something" in a 2x15". Running 15"s for mains really has little to do with needing or not needing subs. Unless you aren't planning to run kick drum or bass through the system. But dual 15" cabs are not usually a good sounding alternative to having subs.

• Members

Originally posted by bassknave

w or w/o cigar?
:p

W/

Hey Mark, can we trust that review or are you a paying advertiser?:D Man you remind me of one of my best friends from my late teen years, right down to the hat, except you have way better taste in automobiles.

Peace,

D

• Members

Originally posted by jsb357

$100 more than you wanted to spend....

Just curious as to why you would suggest a Mackie 2600? for $250 less you get the same power from a QSC RMX2450. If you know how to haggle you can walk into a local store and get one for $350 less than the "buy it now" price of the Mackie you linked to.

• Members
Originally posted by fossil

Just curious as to why you would suggest a Mackie 2600? for $250 less you get the same power from a QSC RMX2450. If you know how to haggle you can walk into a local store and get one for $350 less than the "buy it now" price of the Mackie you linked to.

Yep,that isn't the first amp I would suggest.

• Members
Originally posted by jsb357

You're right...

I thought the Mackie put out 1200w @ 4 ohms...

But...

At 850w @ 4 ohms the Mackie is NOT the best choice...

But the QSC is rated 750w @ 4 ohm...

Needing power @ 1.25-1.5 x RMS would that be a bit underpowered???

Depends on how much volume you need.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Why don't you PM or e-mail Audiopile directly?

Yea, he doesn't bite!

I haven't had any experience with the E&W amps, but I've dealt with Audiopile for other things. Mark and Liz are very friendly and honest and offer some of the best service I've encountered on the 'net. Highly recommended!

BTW Mark, love the hat :p

Archived