Bi-amped monitors??? Help!!!

• Members

A Couple of Q's:

1. Can both high and low signals of a biamped system travel down one neutrik cable if the speaker is set up to recieve it?

2. IF so, what gets sent out of the parrallel out neutrik connector. IS it bi-amped too or the sum of both signals. What would happen if you plugged another passive, non bi-ampable monitor into the parrellel out?

thankx in advance

fingersg

• Members
Originally posted by fingersg

A Couple of Q's:

1. Can both high and low signals of a biamped system travel down one neutrik cable if the speaker is set up to recieve it?

Yep, if it's a 4-conductor speaker cable with an NL-4 end on the speaker side, dual 1/4"/2-core Speakon ends on the other. Or another NL-4, if one amp is capable of it - both lows and highs.

2. IF so, what gets sent out of the parrallel out neutrik connector. IS it bi-amped too or the sum of both signals. What would happen if you plugged another passive, non bi-ampable monitor into the parrellel out?

If there's a parallel out, it's also either bi-amped (NL-4), or works as a full range parallel IF the full range/biamp toggle is set to full-range. IME though, i usually dont see parallel outs on bi-ampable monitors... it's normally full-range/lo in, and high in... no parallel out. i havent worked too much with the really high level stuff though.

here's something else to watch for: the back of the speaker will tell you which pins are lo, and which hi - something like +1/-1 is low, +2/-2 is high. and in full-range, +1/-1 is full-range, +2/-2 is NC (or maybe a parallel out?)

AS

• Members

Thanks AS,

Just to get this straight, if the speaker is in bi-amp mode(the switch is on), it automaticaly sends that same bi-amped signal out of the neutrik parrallel out, right? If so, plugging a regular passive speaker in that out will not work and will probably only get highs or lows right? Or will the passive speaker really mess things up and shouldn't even be tried?

• Members

i dont know what model of speaker you have, but generally speaking, two speakon connectors on a bi-ampable speaker would mean both 4-conductor, paralleled. so the parallel out would be sending both signals out. if you use a full-range speaker at the other end, it's gonna get only one signal - either high or low - and will consequently alter the load on that amp.

your best bet would to not play with a full-range speaker in parallel.

or, if you could tell us what particular brand/model, somebody here might be able to give you more info.

AS

• Members

the speaker is a small EAW monitor(2 eight or tens and a horn?) witha biamp switch on it and only two neutrik connex.Sorry Idon't knowthemodel #. I could find out tonight, but it sounds like I will need a speaker that will have bi-amp capabilty anyway. thankx though.

Archived