Shure PSM In-ear monitors - diff. b/t models?

• Members

We're looking to purchase a wireless in-ear monitor system soon and are interested in the Shure PSM models. Have any of you used the Shure PSM-200/400/600/700 in-ear monitors?

Any of you have any personal experiences/opinions on these wireless systems and which to choose? We play small clubs mostly and probably need 5 receivers. Any response is appreciated muchly!

• Moderators

I've used the 200 and 400 systems extensively. No experience with the other two.

If your budget is tight, the 200 system may be what you're looking for.

Then again, it depends on how many mixes you want and whether you're OK with mono vs. stereo mixes.

Each 400 transmitter gives you two mono mixes, OR one stereo mix, OR one "mix mode" mix where you can dial in "more me" right on the beltpack. So, for example, if you have 4 available pre fader auxes on your mixer you could buy two PSM400 transmitters and send 4 separate mixes to two receivers. Doing it this way takes up the least room in your rack and is almost as cheap as buying four PSM200 systems, since they do only one mix per transmitter.

However, the PSM200 transmitters have two inputs each instead of one, so you can mix a couple of things together at the "transmixer." This can be really hand if your board AUX's are limited. You can patch one standard monitor mix to all of your PSM200s and then add a mike feed for each person to their PSM200 transmixer, using the mix controls to boost their vocal.

Also depends on whether you want to go wireless, wired, or some combination. The PSM200 is unique in that the receivers work either wired or wireless. So you can skip buying transmitters at first, go wired, and then add the transmitters later when you can afford them.

Hope this helps.

Terry D.

• Members

quazark: What kind of board are you using? How are you currently monitoring yourselves? What kind of budget do you have for this gear?

MrKnobs did a great job of laying everything out there as far as options go (as always), and a little more information from you would help.

• Members

We have a mixture of 400 and 600 systems. There are some things I really like about the 600 systems over the 400's, but the flexibility of multiple channels on the 400 systems wins out.

I think the 600 systems sound slighty better, but not sure if the money difference is worth it. And with the 600 systems you only have two frequencies to work with. Nicer belt pack and rack unit, but we haven't had a problem with the plastic 400's yet either. I do like the ability to adjust the input on the 600's and the better metering, but that all adds to the costs as well.

Any new systems we are buying are the 400's. :)

• Members

We are using the 400's. I think they sound great and have more than enough features as far as mixes. I have a hard time going back to monitors now.

In fact I have our monitor rig setup with the snake split in it. We plug all other stage instruments into the monitor system and it splits it out to the main system. This is handy because we can use our own monitor system at any gig if we wanted to. We do this with in house systems many times. It is like asking for a miracle to get them to tweak the monitor EQ to you're liking half the time. This way we don't need to worry about it. Same mix every time. Really saves my voice.

Damn we love those in-ears. Once you get 'em you'll never want to go back.

• Members

We're using the Sennheiser EW300's.

I like them for the following:

Metal Packs

Switchable channels

Built in Limiters

Adjustable Squelch

Range

Focus mode (Similar to Shures mix mode)

I dislike them for the following:

Chincy metal belt clips occasionally don't work

Batteries last only one night

I'd suggest having custom molds poured for your ears for greater isolation especially if you're on a loud stage. We went down to the local college and had them poured for $25.

Like what was said above, you'll love 'em once you get used to them. Take the time. It's worth saving your hearing.

Rick

Archived