Trailering equipment

• Members

Man I am sore this morning....it wasn't from jumping around on stage...it's from loading up at the storage unit unloading at the gig...loading out at the gig...then unloading again at the storage unit...hey I am doing this to be a rock star not to lug all this PA gear around. So at this point, we have decided to get a trailer to keep our stuff in between gigs. What can I keep safely in this trailer...it 's fairly mild 9 months of the year but the summer can be brutal in GA. Other than the obvious concern of someone driving off with the darn thing and all our equip. I am really concerned about keeping stuff in a trailer during the summer. Any suggestions? Also what size is best...we are a five piece with subs, mains, a rolling gig rig, a rolling amp rack, mic stands power chords and all the other stuff that a band lugs around with them....how about some voices of experience..

• Members

I guess my concern would be the high temps and what happens to plastic. It could melt or become brittle over time. I think maybe an insulated trailer could help or parking it in the shade when not in use. Lots of people leave there stuff in high and low temp extremes with no problems. Just my opinion.

• Members

bpowell: After looking at 4star's website, it doesn't show anything like the band/music equipment trailer in their music mag ad. Guess they haven't updated their site since they branched into gear trailers. Maybe you could call their 800-848-3095 number & get a pic FAX'ed. They seem to specialize in trailers with lots of aluminum, for weight savings. Having towed race car and boat trailers all over the U.S., weight is a big factor, especially with the towing vehicles available today, not to mention gasoline prices.

Good Luck, Texas Jim

• Members

Originally posted by bpowell451

Man I am sore this morning....it wasn't from jumping around on stage...it's from loading up at the storage unit unloading at the gig...loading out at the gig...then unloading again at the storage unit...hey I am doing this to be a rock star not to lug all this PA gear around. So at this point, we have decided to get a trailer to keep our stuff in between gigs. What can I keep safely in this trailer...it 's fairly mild 9 months of the year but the summer can be brutal in GA. Other than the obvious concern of someone driving off with the darn thing and all our equip. I am really concerned about keeping stuff in a trailer during the summer. Any suggestions? Also what size is best...we are a five piece with subs, mains, a rolling gig rig, a rolling amp rack, mic stands power chords and all the other stuff that a band lugs around with them....how about some voices of experience..

What is and isn't going into it. Everything,drums,all guitar amps etc?It depends greatly on the size of the subs and FOH cabs. I have a '93 Ford F-250 Econoline long wheelbase(but not the superlong cargo model). Our drummer carries his drums and 12" wedge monitor. We are a 3-piece band plus a singer. Here is what goes into the van. And for the most part,it stays there year round.

three 10 to 12 space amp racks.

four 2x12" two-way FOH cabs 16"x 16"x 36"

four single 18" FH scoop subs 24"x 36"x 36"

two guitar heads and a 4x12" cab

small kick-back bass combo

three 12" wedge monitors

three light bars with 4 par 56's each.

three mid-sized Rubbermaid boxes for cords,etc

several smaller equipment cases for guitar stuff,etc

220 box and a couple other electrical boxes

mic stands,three light stands,etc

usually four or of my guitars and a little other spare equipment.

Then for outdoor shows,I rent a trailer(usually a 6'x10' for more subs and horn loaded mids and high cabs. So it varies greatly on the size of your stuff and who brings their own stuff with them.

• Members

wow i went a priced these things at Home depot today...$1800 for the smallest one...I need a more affordable option...$1000.00 to $1500 bucks...any ideas

Get a used one. Make sure it isn't falling apart. Don't be sore if it still smells like horse {censored}. Soon, it will smell like stale beer puke and cigarette smoke :D

• Members

Originally posted by dirtyragamuffin

Get a used one. Make sure it isn't falling apart. Don't be sore if it still smells like horse {censored}. Soon, it will smell like stale beer puke and cigarette smoke
:D

And what's wrong with a little horse {censored}???

The little Home Depot type utility trailers are not a good idea, they are definately super-light duty.

I sold a 14' x 6-1/2' fully enclosed tandem axle trailer recently for $2500. It was in nice shape. There are a lot of options, I personally like the stock type trailers with removeable partitions. That's what our current shop trailer is... besides it's great for hauling the horses around provided you don't mind the smell of horse {censored}!

• Members

I am taking it that a lots of folks use the trailer option. Has anyone had any equipment crap out from the heat of metal box. I have heard that any equipment with computer type memry could dump all the settings etc from the heat. would this apply to anything with a circuit board in it..like Rev 7 etc. I really don't have a covered place to park a trailer...so am concerned that I may be doing some damage to my equipment

• Members

I am taking it that a lots of folks use the trailer option. Has anyone had any equipment crap out from the heat of metal box. I have heard that any equipment with computer type memry could dump all the settings etc from the heat. would this apply to anything with a circuit board in it..like Rev 7 etc. I really don't have a covered place to park a trailer...so am concerned that I may be doing some damage to my equipment

Like I said earlier,mine stays in the van all week all year long and I've never had any problems. Shouldn't be any different. I assume a light colored one would be better than dark,as far as reflecting light/heat.

• Members

Nah... no problems. I had a couple of Rev-7's and never a problem with them or the other $250k worth of gear... over probably 15 years. Moisture from a leaky trailer is a far bigger problem.

• Moderators

It's unlikely that the trailer will get any hotter in the sun than the rack does when it's being used. 110-120 degrees F is not much for electronic equipment to take.

Agree with Andy, water is the killer, even high humidity will take its toll.

Not to mention thieves.

Terry D.

• Members

wow i went a priced these things at Home depot today...$1800 for the smallest one...I need a more affordable option...$1000.00 to $1500 bucks...any ideas

your local "Trader" newpaper will have dozens of listings for used trailers,,, at nearly HALF of retail.....:eek:

• Members

Many spec sheets list the temperature ranges for working and storage. The working range is generally 20F to 135F or so, and the storage is 0F to 180F. Obviously, cheaper gear has cheaper components that might not survive at 180, but if it ever gets that hot in the trailer, consider using it as a BBQ smoker. ;)

• Members

I'm living in Florida and have been keeping the band gear in first a van, then when that crapped out in a trailer. I've never had any problem with any of the gear being stored in either case over an 11-year period.

One caveat; don't leave your guitars in the trailer. Take them into the air conditioned house. The heat and humidity in the trailer can definitely warp a neck.

I second all the advice for a used trailer. We picked up one used for hauling a motorcycle for $1500. 6 1/2'X12'x6'.

To aid in preventing theft, get yourself a hitchlock and use it when the trailer is parked.

I carry subs, mains, two light trees w/8 pars per tree, bass rig, guitar rig, keyboard rack and midi controller, lighting controller and packs, large trunks for cables, mains rack and mixer rack loaded, monitors for four, and occassionaly extra mains and monitors for larger gigs. I tow with a '96 Chevy S10 4-cyl. Never a problem (except for the night I lost a wheel bearing).

A trailer also comes in handy if anyone needs to move.:)

Archived