Advice to giggers

• Members

For those who do alot gigging involving load in/load out and travel,occasionally check all nuts and screws on your gear.We have a trailer to haul our gear around and lately alot fasteners have been working loose from the vibration of road travel.So we have,and are going through everything that could work loose and have found many things needing attention.Nuts that hold pots in place,nuts that hold 1/4 inch jacks,lighting fixtures,mic stand parts and more,all of which could cause potential equipment failure.Take the time to check out your gear and have a can of contact cleaner handy..You'll get more from your gear and it will last longer without breaking.

• Members

I fell victim to these road hazards last year. We were playing so often I couldn't find time to once over the system. Bad cables, bad panel jacks, electrical connection to processing falling out inside the racks, you name it. Nothing super serious but well more than enough to be a plague and highly aggravating. It's worth the time to check over your system. I usually like to do over it every 3 months or so. Saves a lot of headaches later. I don't have to listen to "My monitor isn't working", or "There nothing in my vocal channel", or "My mic stand is broken", and whatnot.

• Members

Best advice I can give is to carry some wirecutters and as soon as you identify a bad cable, cut it in half. If you want to try to salvage the ends later you can do that, but at least you won't be grabbing a bad cord every other gig and wondering why your sound is so crappy.

Michael D.

• Members

I always carry an old backpack full of extra cables, extension cords, power strips etc. to shows and in the front pocket is always wire cutters, wire strippers, screw drivers, pliers, wrench, a small soldering iron and solder. Sometimes I need it, sometimes I don't. Always good to know it's there. Came in real handy when a band's singer stepped on the acoustic guitarist's cord and ripped the jack clean out of the guitar, for instance. With the help of the fiddler's skiny hand and arm that could reach into the soundhole, we had it fixed by the end of the break.

Archived