OT - Recomend a live DVD?

• Members

A bit off topic but...

Anybody out there with a great collection of live music DVD's. I have a small collection that I really enjoy and was looking for some more to add to it.

I have a wide musical taste from Jazz to Rock (classic and modern).

I recently purchased Cheap Tricks - Silver.

Excellent value just a little bit more than a CD, yet 2:15 long with 31 songs!! Great entertainment.

Main criteria is that it must be live concert - not music video.

Love looking at the gear and the musicanship!!

Any recomendations??

Cheers

Russell

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I agree with the previous post... The Last Waltz might be the most beautifully filmed concert ever. (Not to mention that The Band were on fire...) None of the tiresome camera wanking, bizarrely inappropriate closeups, embarassing audience shots and frenetic angle-switches every 1.5 seconds that all but ruin the video presentation of so many excellent concerts. Video directors who try to upstage the musical artist by running amok with their MTV-style antics should be sent straight to hell.

Now if they would only put Tom Petty's Pack Up The Plantation film on DVD, all would be right with the world. (Sadly, his High Grass Dogs - Fillmore DVD doesn't work, for most of the above-mentioned reasons.)

I thought Roger Waters' In The Flesh Live 2000 was well done. And the Eagles' music may be tired in general, but the Hell Freezes Over DVD was indisputably well produced. The Who Live at Royal Albert Hall is good performance-wise (and sound-wise), though it suffers a bit from some questionable (overly fast) editing.

Archived