Any special considerations with generators?

• Members
Originally posted by Rbts

I am thinking about trying to get involved in a local outdoor festival. Any special considerations if the electricity provided comes from outside generators?

This couldn't have come at a better time. We are also doing a headline show for a couple of club owners who are trying to create a mini-Woodstock in our area in August. Since it is an outdoor thing,we will be using most of my FOH gear for max coverage. Last thing I need is to fry a bunch or all of it.

• Members

If you're using a gasoline genset with a small tank, keep an eye on the fuel level. When a genset starts to run empty, you get all kinds of brownouts and spikes that electronic gear doesn't like.

Texas Jim, from the land of Hurricanes and Gensets

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

This couldn't have come at a better time. We are also doing a headline show for a couple of club owners who are trying to create a mini-Woodstock in our area in August. Since it is an outdoor thing,we will be using most of my FOH gear for max coverage. Last thing I need is to fry a bunch or all of it.

Hey TL, let me know when that is, I might go down to see it...OR...

if you need another band.... :D

• Members

Everyone offered great advice. Definantly watch the fuel level like Jim said, and everything that Mark said.

Also, if you use smaller generators to run sound gear, keep a 100 watt light bulb or somthing of the sort on it ALL the time, to keep a steady load on the generator, so the power feeding delicate gear (processors, consoles, etc) has steady power.

• Members

Originally posted by mackoid

Also, if you use smaller generators to run sound gear, keep a 100 watt light bulb or somthing of the sort on it ALL the time, to keep a steady load on the generator, so the power feeding delicate gear (processors, consoles, etc) has steady power.

Yes good info... for ALL sized generators.

• Members

We just did an outdoor show in the middle of a large field that we had to supply the power. After doing some research here, on other sites, and talking to some generator companies, I went with the "clean power" generators meant for highly regulated voltage like for computer equipment and such.

Ingersoll-Rand has a smaller trailer-type model G25 the worked great for us. Never had a blip in power and it was VERY quiet running. Rented it for the day for less than $200. :)

• Members

thank you everyone...

they have agreed that we should play at the festival, so we will see how it works out.

from what I am gathering, the generator will be watching and trying to sense if a load is being place on it, and it will work to meet that load requirement, so I am to run a 100 w or bigger buld on it ALL the time to make sure that it always realiz=ses that it is to be putting out steady current.

SR

Archived