PSM200 Wireless - volume jumps - battery?

• Members

Hi gents-

I had 2 gigs on Saturday, both were 3 sets. I changed the battery before the first gig.

Towards the end of the second gig, I noticed the volume in the IEMs start to fade, and then jump back to very loud. This happened for about the last half hour. We have 3 running wireless on the same channel and one running wired. The wired guy had no issues. The wireless people all noticed problems.

The power LED on the receiver was lit, not flashing like it does when the batt is almost gone.

Has anybody experienced volume fluctuations while running wireless?

Thanks for any insight all-

John

• Moderators

You just have the one transmitter? Could be a lot of things, then, like even the cable from the board to the transmitter. I haven't experienced this, it's usually all the way cut out when it cuts out, in my experience. Maybe an intermittent cable from the board to the transmitter? Maybe some issue related to the antenna or other transmission near that frequency? Did you try switching to a different channel?

Shure has a document describing how to find the best frequency to run in a given location.

I assume you're using new alkaline batteries rather than the rechargeable kind?

Terry D.

• Members

Thanks Terry-

Yes, alkaline, although thinking about rechargeables due to the 1 battery per gig estimation. I assume by your post that this would be bad. I thought that the new era of rechargeables had no memory and would work better, no?

I've only had these about 1 month and for about 10 gigs. We've got two transmitters, but we just got the second this weekend and I forgot to tell the others to change their channel, so I think we had 3 on one frequency.

I have read about the 'search' feature and will be sure to do that at every gig. I've just left it on Ch. 7 and have had relatively good luck I guess.

You kind of touch on what worries me. I feared that the board or maybe the inline EQ, or even the receiver could have a dirty pot and be sending a jumping signal.

I'm using the cheapo calbes that come with the package, but I doubt they've gone bad.

Well, thanks for the input Terry. These do take some getting used to, but when they're on, they're great.

• Moderators

John -

Standard troubleshooting should sort this out, though it may take a while if the problem only occurs sporadically.

Swap cables, change channels, you know the drill. See if the problem moves.

Terry D.

Archived