Whatched a pro, what was he doing?

• Members

I saw a good outdoor show the other day and I was standing behind the Sound board. Wow, was this guy busy! Here's what I would like to know:

He had some type of Dbx Driverack unit, he also had a stereo EQ below it set flat. He would pick a frequency and raise and cut the slider until he found the band he was looking for, then he would start messing with the Driverack.

Another device he had was some type of vocal processer that he would pick presets from according to the artist that sang the song, (it was a cover band). Are these some type of magic for vocals? I think it was an Antares but I'm not sure, it was dark.

How would a Drive rack benefit my PA system? I have a 1500 watt head driving four 15 inch 2-way EVs and a seperate monitor amp for two floor wedges. My mixer is an Allen and Heath 16 channel. I have EQ's for each amp.

• Members
Originally posted by STRAT TOOL

I saw a good outdoor show the other day and I was standing behind the Sound board. Wow, was this guy busy! Here's what I would like to know:

He had some type of Dbx Driverack unit, he also had a stereo EQ below it set flat. He would pick a frequency and raise and cut the slider until he found the band he was looking for, then he would start messing with the Driverack.

--------------------------------------------------------------

++++ Probably identifying the offending frequency in the analog domain (easier and more convenient) then correcting via the parametric eq section in the Drive Rack digital domain.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Another device he had was some type of vocal processer that he would pick presets from according to the artist that sang the song, (it was a cover band). Are these some type of magic for vocals? I think it was an Antares but I'm not sure, it was dark.

---------------------------------------------------------------

++++ If you know what you are doing, yes it is a way to add effects to your vocals. If you don't understand what you are doing, it's a great way to muddy up the mix!

Howwould a Drive rack benefit my PA system? I have a 1500 watt head driving four 15 inch 2-way EVs and a seperate monitor amp for two floor wedges. My mixer is an Allen and Heath 16 channel. I have EQ's for each amp.

++++ Probably not at all... you will probably want to work on the basics first before adding any additional processing.

Archived