Building a system around 2 Behringer 1800X subs...help?

• Members

Hey folks,

Our bassist has left our band (cover band, playing small to mid size rooms between 50-200 people in them)......

He was the sole owner of our PA system....The only thing that he didn't own were the subs and the monitors.

So now we have the daunting task of figuring out what to get to replace the PA.

I own two monitors, the singer owns one monitor, a power amp for all the monitors, and two behringer 1800X sub woofers...

We need to build a PA around this current list of equipment. Can you guys offer some suggestions? The budget is around 2000 bucks....

what we've narrowed things down to, is the following two possibilities:

Powered Mixer route:

Mackie 808S or M

2 Yamaha S115IV speakers

stand poles to fly the yamahas above the behringer subs

speaker wires, cables, sm58s, etc...

Mixing board route:

Behringer UB2442FX-Pro mixer

Crown XLS-602 to power subs and mains

2 Yamaha S115IV speakers

stand poles to fly the yamahas above the behringer subs

speaker wires, cables, sm58s, etc...

Can anyone offer some suggestions and or advice on the above setups or maybe offer some other possibilities as suggestions.

I know that some folks are going to criticize our plans, by saying it's "budget gear", etc....or downtalk the Behringer stuff....unfortunately, we are on a strict budget.....and these options look like the most cost effective solutions. Buying used gear is certainly an option, but the band doesn't have too much liquid cash right now....so we are probably going to take advantage of sam ash or musiciansfriend's interest free for 6/12 month deals.

Thanks again for any and all help you guys can offer....

-Frank

• Members

Tight budget, small rooms, you've got subs already.....I don't think you need the 15" mid/high cab. IMO, a 12" version is all you need ( just make sure it still has a 1" exit titanium horn driver.) In fact, I think a 12" driver helps the vocals cut through better. A 12" cab will still go down to 100hz, (which is where you're gonna set the crossover point on your new $80 Behringer crossover) and it will be plenty loud to balance with your Behr subs. I see in Sam Ash a Peavey 12" for $200 each.

• Members

The Behringer subs haven't been used yet.

Our singer (who has been on a huge mission to add subs since we started gigging) went out and got these Behringer subs, second hand, about a month ago....we haven't had the opportunity to try them out yet....since the bassist left the group the same time the subs were aquired...

The original speakers were Yamaha S115IV's ....we decided to get those speakers, simply because they are a known entity....

So you guys say that with a subwoofer, a 12 inch 2-way will be a better match with these subs?

-F

• Members
Originally posted by strangegrey

The Behringer subs haven't been used yet.

Our singer (who has been on a huge mission to add subs since we started gigging) went out and got these Behringer subs, second hand, about a month ago....we haven't had the opportunity to try them out yet....since the bassist left the group the same time the subs were aquired...

The original speakers were Yamaha S115IV's ....we decided to get those speakers, simply because they are a known entity....

So you guys say that with a subwoofer, a 12 inch 2-way will be a better match with these subs?

-F

Yes,a healthy 12" 2-way cab crossed over in the 90-120hz range will easily p up with those front-load subs. I like 12"s better. I use dual 12" cabs for mid/high cabs,two per side usually.

Archived