PA Set-up with Amps

• Members

Our band has recently upgraded our sound to include heads that have outputs to mixers. We have a powered Yamaha EFX500012 mixer as a PA with single 15s. I was wondering if you can connect the Heads directly to the PA without damage, without using mics. In this way we can use the mic ports for the drums, and balance the sound. We also want to record the live performances for review. We have a tascam 788 portastudio which attaches nicely to the sterio output on the Yamaha.

Some advice here would be nice. I read the Manual, and they said nothing about connecting amps, just the guitar with effects units.

Help

• Members

if you're connecting the heads, make sure it's a 'preamp out' or a 'line out' from the head. and a line-in on the mixer.

otherwise, way too much magic smoke.

also, this might seem obvious, but you dont wanna connect into the line-ins of the same channels as the mic-ins. i.e. channel 1 mic (xlr) in, dont run a line into that.

AS

• Members

I would like to try the direct line in to the source to eliminate cross pickup and bleeding from the drums. On the board all I get is clipping from the bass when I mic, because of the small venue. I am hoping by going through the line out I will more precisely control seperate volumes.

• Members

Originally posted by narfdude

I would like to try the direct line in to the source to eliminate cross pickup and bleeding from the drums. On the board all I get is clipping from the bass when I mic, because of the small venue. I am hoping by going through the line out I will more precisely control seperate volumes.

As I said, DI the bass, it's the guitars that won't sound right.

Archived