small upgrade to system

• Members

I've got a small amount of money to spend on upgrading our bands current pa system. I'd appreciate some suggestions on what we can add to improve our sound. We're a bit limited at the moment, our system consists of:

Mackie 1604

digitech studio 100

some generic 31 band stereo eq (one side for mains, one for monitors)

sonic maximizer

behringer autocom 2 channel compressor (running on the main outs of the board)

peavey 260 amp running monitors

peavey 2000 running mains and sub

2 peavey spx1 mains

1 jbl mpro200 sub

I've been thinking about picking up a quad compressor for the mics, and maybe adding a feedback supressor (two of the guys in our band wear headset mics, and one has a tendancy to bend over to look at his setlist... right next to the monitor), and maybe replace our eq with a digital eq with an rta function.

We're currently playing bars with a crowd of less than 500, rock and dance music.

• Members

Originally posted by Somerled

I've got a small amount of money to spend on upgrading our bands current pa system. I'd appreciate some suggestions on what we can add to improve our sound...

I've been thinking about picking up a quad compressor for the mics, and maybe adding a feedback supressor (two of the guys in our band wear headset mics, and one has a tendancy to bend over to look at his setlist... right next to the monitor), and maybe replace our eq with a digital eq with an rta function...

1) Trash can for the Sonic Maximizer

2) bigger poweramp for monitors. I cant believe you guys are getting by with 80 watts of power (at 8 ohms) to your monitors, if your stage volume is that low Im envious.

3) Crossover and 1 more JBL sub

4) Printer capable of printg on 17x11 paper so you can make a bigger setlist for your "induces feedback because he is an idot" guy.

5) 3-4 Louisville Sluggers so the rest of the band can beat the guy from #4 senseless.

• Members

well, I'm fighting an uphill battle on a bunch of stuff... when I joined the band they were running the sub off one side of the pv2000, and the mains and three monitors off the other side... and wondered why we kept losing power. We took the 260 out of our drummers studio rack for lack of anything better. the rest of the band is completely clueless on how this stuff works. When we have the funds I plan on adding another jbl sub, an active crossover, and two new power amps, one for the mains and one for the monitors. I've got a few hundred to spend right now, and I'm trying to figure out if there is anything I can do to make marginal improvements in our sound, or if I should just save the money for the amps. (and new mains, these peaveys are really bad... probably too much damage from too much amp distortion, and the fact that the bass player is a slap and popper that runs direct into the board, and thinks that the input gain and channel fader are interchangable (he has since been banned from coming within ten feet of the console...)

• Members

well, I'm fighting an uphill battle on a bunch of stuff... when I joined the band they were running the sub off one side of the pv2000, and the mains and three monitors off the other side... and wondered why we kept losing power. We took the 260 out of our drummers studio rack for lack of anything better. the rest of the band is completely clueless on how this stuff works. When we have the funds I plan on adding another jbl sub, an active crossover, and two new power amps, one for the mains and one for the monitors. I've got a few hundred to spend right now, and I'm trying to figure out if there is anything I can do to make marginal improvements in our sound, or if I should just save the money for the amps. (and new mains, these peaveys are really bad... probably too much damage from too much amp distortion, and the fact that the bass player is a slap and popper that runs direct into the board, and thinks that the input gain and channel fader are interchangable (he has since been banned from coming within ten feet of the console...)

How do you get the unwanted frequencies out of the sub without a crossover. I'd work towards a decent crossover and another matching sub. I wouldn't waste the money on the other stuff before that. Then it would only take longer to get them. I'd probably put the Maximizer on Ebay and add that money to the kitty. And I'd check out the Peavey cabs to see how dirty they really are. Maybe just a new diaphragm for each horn would get them back to normal.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

How do you get the unwanted frequencies out of the sub without a crossover. I'd work towards a decent crossover and another matching sub. I wouldn't waste the money on the other stuff before that. Then it would only take longer to get them. I'd probably put the Maximizer on Ebay and add that money to the kitty. And I'd check out the Peavey cabs to see how dirty they really are. Maybe just a new diaphragm for each horn would get them back to normal.

The peavey pv2000 amp we are using has a built in crossover at 150hz. when its enabled, it filters the highs out of one channel and passes them to the other. It certainly isn't the greatest crossover in the world, and after talking to a couple soundguys this weekend, thats the first place I'm starting, is ordering a new crossover. Anybody have recomemdations on brands here?

Problem with adding a second sub is that I will definately need to add another power amp if we do that, but at $600 for the cab and at least $600 for the amp, that's a lot of money for me to invest. I'm still waiting for the band to finish paying me back for the mixing board. I realize that we're not going to get a true killer sound, or even a decent one, without spending the money, so I guess I better start saving, and shopping ebay for a decent used amp

• Members

The peavey pv2000 amp we are using has a built in crossover at 150hz. when its enabled, it filters the highs out of one channel and passes them to the other. It certainly isn't the greatest crossover in the world, and after talking to a couple soundguys this weekend, thats the first place I'm starting, is ordering a new crossover. Anybody have recomemdations on brands here?

Problem with adding a second sub is that I will definately need to add another power amp if we do that, but at $600 for the cab and at least $600 for the amp, that's a lot of money for me to invest. I'm still waiting for the band to finish paying me back for the mixing board. I realize that we're not going to get a true killer sound, or even a decent one, without spending the money, so I guess I better start saving, and shopping ebay for a decent used amp

I'd still get the cab ASAP and use your current amp with it for the time being. You would still be feeding each sub cab about 350 watts,I'm assuming.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I'd still get the cab ASAP and use your current amp with it for the time being. You would still be feeding each sub cab about 350 watts,I'm assuming.

Wouldn't I then be severely underpowering the subs (rated at 500, with a 1500 peak)? I have to deal with bandmates who think they need to tweak the board when I'm not looking, and I'd hate to blow the {censored} out of two 600 subs just because the bass player wants a little more volume...

• Members

Originally posted by SoundtechSD

You could replace your generic eq for a good one.

How would that help a fundimentally bad situatio. That would be like expecting a good cook to make an acceptable meal with rotten meat. No way... fix the problem first. I don't think a generic 31 band eq is the problem... though maybe removing it entirely will prevent it from causing problems from poor operation.

• Members

forgot to mention a fundamental problem with our setup, and a real sore point between me and the bassplayer... He has no bass rig. He's an awesome bass player, great singer, but he shows up with a $100 bass and plugs it right into the board. It kills our timing, since with no rig on stage the drummer can't hear the bass at all, and I suspect that his bass is dragging our already overworked system down further...

• Members

forgot to mention a fundamental problem with our setup, and a real sore point between me and the bassplayer... He has no bass rig. He's an awesome bass player, great singer, but he shows up with a $100 bass and plugs it right into the board. It kills our timing, since with no rig on stage the drummer can't hear the bass at all, and I suspect that his bass is dragging our already overworked system down further...

Originally posted by fossil

5) 3-4 Louisville Sluggers so the rest of the band can beat the guy from #4 senseless.

Same guy?

If not: stun guns.

• Members

Originally posted by rangerkarlos

Same guy?

If not: stun guns.

apparently I need to shell out for stun guns... different guy. Seems the more I think about it, the more I realize I'm surrounded by idiots on stage.

Archived