protecting your ears

• Members

I'm just curious - how many of you guys, either when doing live sound or just checking out a band, wear ear plugs? In the past (before I got into recording) I was in a fair amount of loud clubs, totally oblivious of the danger I was exposing myself too.

If you do wear ear plugs, do you get those custom made ones? How could I get some info on where to purchase them?

Opinions?

- Jonny

• Members

Aside from custom plugs I find the Ear-Planes earplugs they sell in pharmacies better than the foamies. They don't completely block all the high end, it just reduces it a bit. They are the only consumer grade earplug I can use and sing properly.

Now that I have the IEM's I don't need to worry about that anymore. Another shameless IEM plug!:)

• Members

It's always a good idea to wear earplugs at shows when you are not performing. It will reduce the volume, and keep your ears fresh. Custom molded earplugs will run you anywhere from $120-150, but are absolutely worth the investment.

Sensaphonics makes the finest I've ever worn. They are located in Chicago, but they have a network of audiologists all over the country. Email or call them and they can locate an affiliate close to you to take impressions of your ears. A week later your plugs will arrive.

• Members

I've really been thinking of getting some of those.

I've really had bad ears! When I was little I had five ear ruptures, 3 in my left, 2 in my right, and I had like three tubes put into each :(

So.....how do these earplugs work? What do they plug into? Can I get something wireless? How expensive are they? Any help would be appreciated!!

• Members

Sensaphonics makes custon earplugs for about 150$, I believe.

They make custom molded in-ear monitors for about 700-750, these are the type of IEM's you see many pro's who use IEM's wearing (although many use the shure's as well). I have a pair of the custom molded sensaphonics and a pair of the shures and, for me, the custom one's provide far superior sound, I use them at every gig. Many people who play 2000$ guitars freak about the price. It always facinates me so see a musician w/ 1000-6000$ worth of gear, who buys the cheapest wedge monitors available and sings off key all night b/c he can't hear himself...Of course now IEM's are so cheap that price is no longer an issue, but still those are always the guys who look at me like I'm from mars when I tell them the price of the custom sensaphonics...

For me, I'm paying for hearing protection and the ability to hear what everyone else in the band is doing perfectly as well as being able to hear myself sing. I think that they are an incredible investment . The most important thing, though, is to save your ears w/ earplugs &/or IEM's.

• Members

Jonny,

You can also try looking up an audiologist in the phone book in your area. I think most of them are in an ENT's office already, but you can avoid the physicians fee if you think you don't need to see a doctor. I had custom plugs made and it cost me about $150, I also got an addition set of filters which cost another 45. The plugs are awesome! Flat attenuation . One of the reasons I never wore plugs for all of these years is because they muffled the sound. If I knew 20 years ago, what I know now, I would have skiped the cheapie ear plugs and gone with what the pros use. It's true, people spend alot on their equipment and freak at the cost of pro ear protection.

http://westone.com/music/elite.html#es49

rocksld

• Members

Originally posted by Sugarfried

It's always a good idea to wear earplugs at shows when you are not performing.

What about the times you are performing? :)

Actually, I agree completely with this (even if I'm not sure this is what you indeed meant :) ). When I'm playing myself the volume has to go down before my plugs go in.

Archived