D.I. Box Dilemma

• Members

So I began playing live and my first show had a very gracious sound man who went a little extra to help me out. Now I am playing somewhere else and that may not be the case. Most of my sound comes out of my laptop. My laptop uses the standard stereo 1/8 inch out and I was warned that the signal wouldn't be hot enough. Luckily for me I stumbled onto an old mixer (ok, ancient) at an estate sale. This thing is so old that the company who made it denies it ever existed..sheesh. Anyway, the master outs are RCA. When I played the previous gig the soundguy brought out what I am guessing is a DI box becuase he said his board didn't have RCA. The show went off well and I was happy. Now I HAVE TO have a DI Box. What I wondering is....instead of laying 30-40 USD for a DI would I be better off laying 40-50 for a little Behringer or Nady mixer? This way I don't have to lug the other mixer around and wouldn't need a DI (I am guessing that these mixers are 1/4" out on the master outs....

I was thinking...Eurorack MX602A Mixer

or less expensive than that..(sub 50 USD)

I know these won't win awards but all i need them to do is to amplify my laptop signal to an acceptable livel for the PA......right?

HELP!

• Members

Originally posted by Michael Mage

get the mixer?

Do the little mixers like the Behringer ones have 1/4" main outs? IS that the standard these days?

The little Behringer Euroracks have 1/4" main outs and aux send/return, and they have RCA Tape in and out. I'd get Behringer over Nady.

• Members

Actually 1/4" outputs may still result in needing a DI, depending on the situtation. If there's a microphone snake going back to the mixer then you'll definitely need a DI to convert the line-level signal to balanced mic-level. It's possible that the mixer output will do TRS ("tip-ring-sleeve", aka "stereo plug") balanced and all you'd need is an adapter cable to XLR.

That being said, if there's a microphone snake then the sound tech will usually have a couple/few DIs as well - it's standard to take the bass guitar DI, electronic keyboards as well.

If I was in your situation, I'd do the following: Go to Radio Shack, buy a stereo 1/8" to RCA cable (what you'd use to plug the laptop into a home stereo), a pair of RCA female to 1/4" male adapters (part # 274-320), and a pair of 1/4" to XLR transformer adapters (part # 274-017). Plug it all together the only way possible, and you'll have balanced mic-level outputs for under $40. Plus it won't need power and will be easy to carry around. Probably a few people will sniff a bit at the "quality", but for live use it will be plenty good enough.

• Members

Originally posted by Scodiddly

If I was in your situation, I'd do the following: Go to Radio Shack, buy a stereo 1/8" to RCA cable (what you'd use to plug the laptop into a home stereo), a pair of RCA female to 1/4" male adapters (part # 274-320), and a pair of 1/4" to XLR transformer adapters (part # 274-017). Plug it all together the only way possible, and you'll have balanced mic-level outputs for under $40. Plus it won't need power and will be easy to carry around. Probably a few people will sniff a bit at the "quality", but for live use it will be plenty good enough.

That isn't the correct use for those transformers, they are ment to use the opposite way (balanced to un-balanced). Behringer makes a cheap little 2 channel DI box. You could get that, and the RCA adapters mentioned above except the transformers, and be all set.

• Members

I work in the A/V department of a state university, and every week I have to do multiple setups of laptops connected to sound systems. I use a 1/8" stereo mini to dual RCA patch cable, run that into a Y-cable to mono it, run that into a 1/4" adapter, then run that into the Radio Shack 274-017 transformer/adapter. Then I plug that adapter into an XLR mic cable, then into a mixer. I tend to run the volume on the computer kind of low, 20-30%. This seems to give me a level kind of between a weak line level and a hot mic level signal. I really don't see any reason that the transformer would care which direction the signal is going through it, especially since Radio Shack also sells another transformer that does the exact same thing, just with opposite gender plugs.

• Members

Nope, I stand by the Radio Shack transformer - it's got a male XLR, why on earth would they do that if it was supposed to from balanced to unbalanced?

Radio Shack actually has the opposite version, to plug balanced mics into 1/4" unbalanced (& high impedance as well).

Thinking about it again, I'm not so sure about my recommendation, though. If there's enough budget for a little mixer, it might be more useful to have a mixer for other situations, and probably the sound tech will have DIs anyway.

• Members

Originally posted by soundtecwannabe

That isn't the correct use for those transformers, they are ment to use the opposite way (balanced to un-balanced). Behringer makes a cheap little 2 channel DI box. You could get that, and the RCA adapters mentioned above except the transformers, and be all set.

Transformers are by definition bi-directional devices, they will work both ways, provided the impedence ratio is appropriate for the application. The only thing missing from this is the ability to conveniently lift pin 1 to prevent ground loops.

• Members

Reguardless...........the guy just explained that he has a mixer that is capable of being put in the Smithsonian. I think that whatever he decides, the mixer will be an awesome upgrade for him. He also could buy a DI box for 25 or $30. We're not talking about a massive investment here. If he wanted to go cheap................ and were talking cheap, he could buy this 5 channel mixer. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030719070148068085097080506982/g=live/search/detail/base_id/100612 Spend another $25 on a DI http://www.audiopile.net/pricing.asp and be done with it. $65 not including shipping.

• Members

Thanks all,

Being rather un-sound-technically aware I opted for the UB802 (instead of the UB502)....I'll just run the master outs (1/4") to the Desk for the PA.

I know Behringer isn't synonymous with quality but I don't see where this will be that big of a deal (being it's for live use).

Btw: Anyone heard of a Gemini Mixer called the MX881? Thats the old mixer I have....it sounds very clear to me and has a goofy sounding built in "echo" but I wrote Gemini to get documentation on it and they deny ever making it....oddly as there is a better than business card size logo right on the thing (!)

heh

• Members

no, it wasn't a dj mixer..it was 8 channel, each channel has either phono, line or 1/4" mono in......4 out (2 master and 2 recording both sets are RCA) and dual VU meters. Its quite big.....like5 inches tall (8 with meters) and 14" deep and 15" wide.....and has the cheesiest built in echo ever!

go figuire.....

thatnks to all for your help....the 802 will arive Wed and my gig is Sat. so i will be on it right away.

mm

p.s. pics and vid clips of my last gig (whaich was my 1st ever) can be seen @

www.michaelmage.net/gallery.html

peace

Archived