Live recording

• Members

Hi.

We're wanting to record our live gigs on a budget. We're fed up of mixing desk output recordings that, well, sound lifeless and is only as good as the sound guy.

What we were wondering, what gear would we need to get good stage recordings to make a decent live demo?

satannica

• Members

not knowing anything about your situation (#of players,vocalists,etc), i'll suggest the yamaha AW16G, as it will do 8tracks simultaneously, and quite a bit more. the Tascam 788, iirc, will also do 8tracks at once, but its 8tracks total. separate tracking for guitar, bass, drums, and vox (and whatever else) will be necessary.

i got the aw16g 2months ago and have used it quite a bit for recording practices, and it has performed beautifully. an amazing machine. that being said, the preamps are a bit weak, and we use a Mackie 1402 for 6 of the pres, and 2 of the yamaha pres.

maybe a bit more info and i get more specific.

• Members

You have to remember that in clubs, the board mix will be an inverse of the stage sound. The singer is the quietest on stage, so that will be the loudest on a board mix tape. If the guitars are too loud on stage, they won't be present in the tape.

Try a stereo pair of good quality mics in the center of the audience area. Run them directly into a DAT deck. You'll capture not only the band, but also the audience reactions and the raw live sound.

• Members

the guy that does our live videos and demo cds usually sets a sm57 in front of each pa main, and one on the desk next to the mixer, and blends those three together to get a complete sound. it all goes onto one track so you can't mess with the balance of instruments once its down, but then, if you mess with the instrument balances, its not an acurate representation of your live sound right?

Archived