QSC RMX vs Crown XLS

• Members

Hey Folks,

Which budget power amp is the better one and why?

I had a guy at Sam Ass tell me that the Crown was a better amp....and that the QSC doesn't handle bass well....I was inclined to think he was bull{censored}ting me....any thoughts?

_F

• Moderators

QSC RMX is OK, no better or worse than the cheap Crown stuff. QSC PLX sucks on subs but performs OK on mids and highs and is lightweight.

Crown Macrotech or K2 is better than any QSC stuff, but pricey.

All in my humble opinion, of course.

Terry D.

• Members

I guess it depends on what you want to use it for. I bought a XLS 402 for my monitors. It seems to work fine for me but then again, I've never used the QSC. The reason that I went with the Crown was that it was cheap, I was broke, it had a rebate at the time and I got it for $250.00. So far, no problems with it.

• Members

Originally posted by strangegrey

Hey Folks,

Which budget power amp is the better one and why?

I had a guy at Sam Ass tell me that the Crown was a better amp....and that the QSC doesn't handle bass well....I was inclined to think he was bull{censored}ting me....any thoughts?

_F

And the BS alarm starts ringing! Sam Ass is capitalizing on Crown's "reputation" for better bass response, but the XLS is a generic low end oriented product by a company who got caught by QSC with their pants down.

Think about it... there must be a difference between Crown's $299 amp and their $9

The QSC RMX series is Chinese manufactured versions of their very reliable (and field tested for 10 years) Series 1 & USA series amps (1200/1400/1700).

I have serviced QSC for years, and have yet to see an RMX in for service. That says something!

• Members

I think everyone knows why the sam ash dude was pushing the Crown, more profit. I mean really, everyone who's spent time around these things knows the QSC is more robust. The Crown is a good value especially the 402. Main drawbacks: XLR in only and Banana out and NO BRIDGE w/o SPECIAL XLR CABLE!. That's right, to bridge, you use an XLR y-cable and reverse pins 2 and 3 on one end. sux!

pete

• Members

Hey folks,

based on your discussion here about the QSC...I decided to give that a try, instead of the XLS602.

SO I got a QSC RMX2450 ..... haven't tried it yet, I'm going to try it at practice on tuesday and at a gig on Saturday...

-F

• Members

Originally posted by Unalaska

I think everyone knows why the sam ash dude was pushing the Crown, more profit. I mean really, everyone who's spent time around these things knows the QSC is more robust. The Crown is a good value especially the 402. Main drawbacks: XLR in only and Banana out and NO BRIDGE w/o SPECIAL XLR CABLE!. That's right, to bridge, you use an XLR y-cable and reverse pins 2 and 3 on one end. sux!

pete

I think that's a good thing... personally. It will also minmize warranty problems with customers who do not know what the limitations of bridging are and would be better off not doing it.

• Members

Originally posted by strangegrey

Hey folks,

based on your discussion here about the QSC...I decided to give that a try, instead of the XLS602.

SO I got a QSC RMX2450 ..... haven't tried it yet, I'm going to try it at practice on tuesday and at a gig on Saturday...

-F

Good choice, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. :)

Archived