Electrovoice Force i speakers

• Members

Hey folks,

I was in Sams Ass today and I spent some time a/b-ing a handful of different 15" 2-ways....

Peavey, JBL, EV, Yamaha, etc...

I gotta say, I kept going back to the EV Force i 15inch 2-way....it sounded great.

I'd love to hear everyone's comments on it, good or bad....maybe I had wax in my ears...but right now, I'm leaning towards buying these over the Yamaha S115IV's...

Thoughts?

-F

• Members
Originally posted by strangegrey

Hey folks,

I was in Sams Ass today and I spent some time a/b-ing a handful of different 15" 2-ways....

Peavey, JBL, EV, Yamaha, etc...

I gotta say, I kept going back to the EV Force i 15inch 2-way....it sounded great.

I'd love to hear everyone's comments on it, good or bad....maybe I had wax in my ears...but right now, I'm leaning towards buying these over the Yamaha S115IV's...

Thoughts?

-F

They aren't too bad. They seem to roll off a little too soon for my ears,but so do the Yamahas. Actually,I like the 12"Force wedge monitor. They sound pretty decent for the money.

• Members

Roll Off....sorry to sound so 'newbie'....can you explain what roll off means?

Our band has been using the Yamaha S115IVs for quite some time (they belong to the departing bassist, hense the search for replacements).....and I gotta say, there's alot more depth to the Force i's....like things are 3D compared to 2D....It was really quite staggering.....

but the reason I asked about em here, was that I don't know if what I heard was the real thing or showroom trickery...I guess I can return em if they end up sucking live...

-F

• Members
Originally posted by strangegrey

Roll Off....sorry to sound so 'newbie'....can you explain what roll off means?

Our band has been using the Yamaha S115IVs for quite some time (they belong to the departing bassist, hense the search for replacements).....and I gotta say, there's alot more depth to the Force i's....like things are 3D compared to 2D....It was really quite staggering.....

but the reason I asked about em here, was that I don't know if what I heard was the real thing or showroom trickery...I guess I can return em if they end up sucking live...

-F

You start losing the highs a little too soon,IMO.

• Members

I have pair I bought maybe 2-3 years ago, and love them. Actually I bought them for upright bass, since the low end is tuned so well, but they have a really good vocal sound as well.

I'm not sure what "i" in the model stands for. Mine have somewhat cheap components, like a stamped-basket 15". Haven't managed to blow anything out yet, although I don't use them much. It's always possible to replace a blown component with a better one, anyway.

You definitely want a lo-cut/rumble filter in your system, though. The cabinet won't roll off extreme low frequencies and that'll cut into your headroom a lot. A good power amp will have one built-in.

Archived