Metallica Sues A Band For Using The E And F Chord!!??

• Members

It's no spoof, really!

Metallica paid for the rights to the E/F combination that were originally held by the Beatles (who stole it from John Lee Hooker...who unfortunately didn't copyright the notes).

Anyway, they paid several million for E, and had to fork over an additional couple of million for full rights to F to Yoko Ono (you knew SHE'd have a hand in this) because part of F's ownership had been transferred to John Lennon's estate.

Apparently, Metallica is so angry about having to pay Yoko Ono off that they're going to "take their ball and go home" by vehemenlty enforcing the copyright. Also, Lars Urlich, drummer for Metallica, was quoted as saying "How many songs REALLY use these chords anyway? I never play 'em myself." Then he made a "devil's horns" signal with his hand and did his famous "straining on the pot" face to the camera.

Anyway, all other chords are public domain ever since the Grateful Dead bought them and "set them free" while simultaneously allowing anyone interested to bootleg them.

The only exception is middle C, which is owned by Bill Gates. Luckily, if you agree to use Microsoft Internet Explorer, you can use middle C. If, however, you insist on using another web browser, you're in violation and will be dealt with by one of Bill's evil minions.

• Members

Originally posted by Old Steve

It's no spoof, really!

Metallica paid for the rights to the E/F combination that were originally held by the Beatles (who stole it from John Lee Hooker...who unfortunately didn't copyright the notes).

Anyway, they paid several million for E, and had to fork over an additional couple of million for full rights to F to Yoko Ono (you knew SHE'd have a hand in this) because part of F's ownership had been transferred to John Lennon's estate.

Apparently, Metallica is so angry about having to pay Yoko Ono off that they're going to "take their ball and go home" by vehemenlty enforcing the copyright. Also, Lars Urlich, drummer for Metallica, was quoted as saying "How many songs REALLY use these chords anyway? I never play 'em myself." Then he made a "devil's horns" signal with his hand and did his famous "straining on the pot" face to the camera.

Anyway, all other chords are public domain ever since the Grateful Dead bought them and "set them free" while simultaneously allowing anyone interested to bootleg them.

The only exception is middle C, which is owned by Bill Gates. Luckily, if you agree to use Microsoft Internet Explorer, you can use middle C. If, however, you insist on using another web browser, you're in violation and will be dealt with by one of Bill's evil minions.

:D

• Members

OK, I Just saw this and thought, well this is really stupid. But it looks real.

Anway, I decided to get out my guitar and play a few consequtive E and F chords.... So - Is THAT what metallica sounds like??????

Actually the combination sounds a lot like a lot of flamenco music...

Has anyone ever tried suing Mettallica?

• Members

Wow you're right...just grabbed a guitar and it does have a Latin sound.

I guess it's just a happy coincidence then that Metallica plays authentic Flamnco! :eek::D

Man if that's not a spoof then it's really, really depressing. With any luck it will cause the mainstream music industry to implode and music will belong to us indie types again! YAY! :p

• Members

I dunno but it seems to me that I shouldn't waste my time writing anymore. After all, somebody's going to eventualy own the rights to any chord combination that I create. This is the stupidist thing that I've ever heard. If they are "fighting the fight for their fans", they are also destroying the creative process of any musician. My luck, I'd write a song, get inked, make a billion dollars and get sued by Metallica and still die poor. Then again, what does money matter when you're dead? Maybe I should be doing Blues. At least if I do a blues tuen in E & A, I might not get sued............then again, with my luck...................Johnny Lee Hooker might return from the dead and sue me too. How.... How.... How.......How can they do this? (How's that for a little Johnny Lee pun?) It's no wonder that I hate lawyers. They're a key part of the problem.

• Members

Originally posted by Blaine.mac

OK, I Just saw this and thought, well this is really stupid. But it looks real.

Anway, I decided to get out my guitar and play a few consequtive E and F chords.... So - Is THAT what metallica sounds like??????

Actually the combination sounds a lot like a lot of flamenco music...

Has anyone ever tried suing Mettallica?

I was just thinking about suing Metallica for causing the amount of mullets to increase.

• Members

I am 100% sure that this is a hoax... I forget where it was, but I've already read an article somewhere detailing the fact that this was made up and is not true... The original hoax was posted on a site that was made up to look like MTV.com, but it was not really, and fooled lots of people... Metallica may have done some stupid {censored}, but their not that dumb.

Archived