A Question For Speaker Reconers/Repairman

• Members

Thermal rating can be done many ways, but generally in an infinate baffle/box, and bandwidth limited pink noise with a specified crest factor. I believe there's an AES spec for this. Also, I think 70 degrees ambient is specified.

Other ways are with themal modeling, and with just pink noise in the intended application box.

The thermal power ratings tend to be more consistent than the mechanical power ratings which depend on so much more dynamics control, box application, filtering, peak to average ratio, time constants & duty cycle, etc. It's really a crap-shoot, and many manufacturers continue to over-rate their products since they have effectively gotten away with it without too many warranty claims.

• Members

I use a rubberized latex glue for both spider to frame and surround to frame except in very high humidity areas (theme parks where speakers are essentially wet all the time.

Epoxy for voice coil bobbin to cone neck under all circumstances, no exceptions even for vintage and "low power" parts.

This gives me the best of all worlds.

• Members

Thanks, Andy. I had tried "Goop" years ago...what a mess! Eventually, it hardened. I have used Weldbond of late as it never really hardens and has a good bond. What is the brand of rubberized latex that you use? Is it a special order, or commonly available?

Kim

• Members

It's a specialized product that looks like white glue but dries clear and rubbery.

I buy it from my wholesaler in pretty big quantities... enough to do maybe 100 speakers or so!

There may be aftermarker sources for more reasonable quantities but I am not aware of any.

• Members

Thanks Agedhorse.

So, do you think it would be asking too much for

them to offer the enclosure size when they conducted

the thermal test?

I imagine you would get a different response if it

was in a 2 liter box, than a 10 liter box.

Or would it, since they can't really run a Thermal

test under 100 hertz, without XMAX playing a

good factor here?

I know they recomend enclosure size from A - Z,

is this what they ran their tests, to come to their

conclusion?

Archived