Acoustic amp or electric amp

• Members

I amnew, and maybe this issue has been addressed before. If so, point me to the right thread.

I play electric and acoustic in equal amounts. Only have the money for one good amp. Some advice would be appreciated. Acoustic through my current "regular" combo amp is so-so to, well, not good. I have never tried an electric through an acoustic.... Is it possible?

For gigging, which do I choose?

• Members

I would say it depends on what kind of tones you need, and where the instruments fit into the mix... An acoustic guitar amp is basically the same as a PA (not quite, it's set up perfectly for a guitar obviously), so if you are really concerned with having a nice acoustic sound, and you are only using electric for backup/rythm, then you could probably use the acoustic amp with a POD or something like that for your electric.... But, if you need to rip out some really nice electric guitar solo's, and your electric guitar is generally a lead instrument, then you will definitely want to get a nice electric amp, as you will have a hell of a time getting good tones from an acoustic amp. Your acoustic will still sound pretty good through the electric amp too (assuming it's a nice amp), so that may be your best bet.

BTW, you might get better answers about this in one of the guitar forums ;)

Archived