new PA system... starting small

• Members

well, after my last post about my bands pa problems, I talked to our drummer. He's just about as fed up with everything as I am, and is talking about walking after our next gig. We're thinking of putting together a 3 piece band, mostly blues/rock, with the intent to play the smaller venues in town, mostly 50-200 people type places. So now instead of minor upgrades to an existing system, I've got to spec out an entirely new system.

I've been considering for starters,

JBL soundfactor 15" mains

qsc 2450 amp

behringer ub2442 board

Probably won't be runing much more than vocals an a bit of kick drum through the system to start, at least until we can pick up some subs.

is there a significant advantage to going with the mpro 200 series 15" instead of the soundfactor?

what sort of wattage will I need for pushing 2 12" monitors? I'm dealing with a seriously loud drummer.

• Members

You usually get what you pay for. From what I hear, the MPro series is much better than the Sound Factor series. The wattage on your 12" monitors depends on weather you are daisy chaining them or running seperate mixes and it also depends on what they can handle. Look at the specs for them. You're gonna need a seperate amp for the monitors. If you are micing the kick, you might want to invest in some subs also. If they are not powered, obviously, you'll need another amp for them too.

• Members
Originally posted by Somerled

well, after my last post about my bands pa problems, I talked to our drummer. He's just about as fed up with everything as I am, and is talking about walking after our next gig. We're thinking of putting together a 3 piece band, mostly blues/rock, with the intent to play the smaller venues in town, mostly 50-200 people type places. So now instead of minor upgrades to an existing system, I've got to spec out an entirely new system.

I've been considering for starters,

JBL soundfactor 15" mains

qsc 2450 amp

behringer ub2442 board

Probably won't be runing much more than vocals an a bit of kick drum through the system to start, at least until we can pick up some subs.

is there a significant advantage to going with the mpro 200 series 15" instead of the soundfactor?

what sort of wattage will I need for pushing 2 12" monitors? I'm dealing with a seriously loud drummer.

I would look elsewhere than the pseudo-JBLs. As for the monitors,for small stages with mainly vocals running through them,if you get decent ones with 97db or better efficiency,150-200 watts/box will get you quite a bit of volume.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I would look elsewhere than the pseudo-JBLs. As for the monitors,for small stages with mainly vocals running through them,if you get decent ones with 97db or better efficiency,150-200 watts/box will get you quite a bit of volume.

Well, my main experience is with the jbl mpro 200, peavey sp series, and yamaha club. I'm also looking at yorkville and EV. I figure I'll neet to get in under 400 a piece on the mains, since I'll have to pickup a decent amp to run monitors with as well. the biggest headache is this is all no recomped expenses, since the average pay here in tulsa is around $300 a night, it will take me a lot of gigs to make my 2-3k back on the PA...

• Members

Well, my main experience is with the jbl mpro 200, peavey sp series, and yamaha club. I'm also looking at yorkville and EV. I figure I'll neet to get in under 400 a piece on the mains, since I'll have to pickup a decent amp to run monitors with as well. the biggest headache is this is all no recomped expenses, since the average pay here in tulsa is around $300 a night, it will take me a lot of gigs to make my 2-3k back on the PA...

I usually take 10% off the top since I own all the PA gear(far more than 2-3K)and I own the vehicle that gets it there and pay the insurance,upkeep,etc. Certainly I'm coming out behind,but it helps.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I usually take 10% off the top since I own all the PA gear(far more than 2-3K)and I own the vehicle that gets it there and pay the insurance,upkeep,etc. Certainly I'm coming out behind,but it helps.

well, at that rate, it would take me only about 6 months to recoup my pa losses (provided we're playing 4 times a month at $300 a night), which isn't that bad... except in 6 months time I'd have decided that we needed subs (okay, I already decided that, I just can't afford them to start with) and better effects, and better eq, and by the end I'm in the hole another 3-10k, but thats what musics all about right? Guess once I have 15k or so invested in my system, I could always rent it out the less fortunate right?

• CMS Author

well, at that rate, it would take me only about 6 months to recoup my pa losses (provided we're playing 4 times a month at $300 a night), which isn't that bad... except in 6 months time I'd have decided that we needed subs (okay, I already decided that, I just can't afford them to start with) and better effects, and better eq, and by the end I'm in the hole another 3-10k, but thats what musics all about right? Guess once I have 15k or so invested in my system, I could always rent it out the less fortunate right?

Is this a hobby or profession for you? If the former, then there's no rush to get anything, and any money from gigs is a bonus. If it's a profession, then a good business plan is in order, and buying top-flight equipment, or purchasing top-flight services is a must. And that's what small-business loans are for.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Is this a hobby or profession for you? If the former, then there's no rush to get anything, and any money from gigs is a bonus. If it's a profession, then a good business plan is in order, and buying top-flight equipment, or purchasing top-flight services is a must. And that's what small-business loans are for.

Professional hobby, is more like it. Tulsa is not the town to live in if you want to make a living off music (unless you play country), and with a wife and kids I can't sacrifice my day job for the travel bit, so its a really expensive hobby. Just playing guitar, by the time travel and tolls, and dinner and drink and babysitters are accounted for, I lose about $100 a month to play in a band. If I have to sacrifice a couple thousand up front to make my life easier, and maybe be able to rent it out and make some of that money back, its not a bad deal too me.

Archived