So, I have two potential problems (they're kinda old) for next gig

• Members

We're having a gig later next month, so there's still time to get things right. My aim is to keep the stage volume as low as possible and have the sound in the room well distributed. I need ot mic the drums. Don't have the right mics. I want a different vocal mic, that I can use at a greter distance than a SM58. Suggestions please.

• Members

Originally posted by Terje

We're having a gig later next month, so there's still time to get things right. My aim is to keep the stage volume as low as possible and have the sound in the room well distributed. I need ot mic the drums. Don't have the right mics. I want a different vocal mic, that I can use at a greter distance than a SM58. Suggestions please.

Terge,

for the kit. Shure SM57's will work fine for close mic'ing....even the kick(though there ARE better choices)......

I prefer the AudioTechnica Pro35 for all toms,,, AKG C1000 for the snare/hh...and a CAD E100 for the kick...

for your vocals(providing you CAN keep the stage volume very low, which I'm SURE you can).....something along the lines of a large condenser studio mic, WITH a POP screen or filter in place , will work nicely.....

either something basic, such as an AKG C3000, CAD E100/200, AudioTechnica 30 or 40 series, or any one of a host of other (made in China) mics....

a more traditional stage condenser performance mic would work just fine though,,,something like a Shure Beta87...

or even a nice dynamic(I dunno if you've tried any) like a Shure Beta58, EV N/D767, or even a Steadman N90.......

Let us know how things work out, Terje(good luck).....

• Members

Originally posted by Terje

Will it work with SM58's for the drums? How to place them? the drumkit will probably have a snare, hihat, two cymbals, kick and one tom (that is if I let him take that much
:)
).

ANY mic "will do"....

I'm not fond of the SM58 at all for drum applications....actually, now that I think about it,, I don't like the SM58 for ANYTHING!! :eek:

:D

• Moderators

Just put one big omni condenser mike in the middle of the band and have everyone (including the drummer) get closer to it when they solo. Put the main speaks behind the band while you're at it, so you won't need any monitors. If anyone can't hear (including the audience), just have them put their finger in their ear.

That should do it! ;)

I learned all this from some Swedish guy, and it changed my life

Terry D.

• Members

Suddenly I'm reminded of a reggae band I once worked with. Their favorite mic was the SM-58. So they used 58s for vocals, for guitar amps, for the horns, for the snare, for the toms, for the hihat, for the kick... I think they had something like 15-20 58s, and no other mics at all.

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

Just put one big omni condenser mike in the middle of the band and have everyone (including the drummer) get closer to it when they solo.

I have actually thought of using one of those to sing in. And then it might actually pick up enough of the drums for it to be OK. But then again, that'd ruin the idea of close micing.

Put the main speaks behind the band while you're at it, so you won't need any monitors. If anyone can't hear (including the audience), just have them put their finger in their ear.

:D

Archived