problems hearing vocals

• Members

Our band consists of:

2 guitarists (one with 212 mesa boogie other with 60 watt solid state through 4X12 cab with V30s)

bass player has full ampeg stack

drummer

keyboardist

We are running keys and 3 Shure SM58 mics through a 6 channel powered Peavey mixer. It's 150 watts. We are using two PA's 15" drivers and true horns. This is for practice. We are in a big open room that is about 30'X60 with a 10' ceiling. The ceiling is acoustic tile, the floor is concrete and the back wall is concrete with windows cut out in 1' niches and the other walls are panelling. We face towards the 30' wall with our only 2 PA speakers pointing back at us at a distance of about 15' away. They are only about 2 feet off the ground currently.

The problem is, once we get the drums and rhythm section going, the vocalist complains he can't hear himself. We run effects almost dry and the mics feedback when we attempt to turn up. So I've ordered tripod speaker stands to get the tweeters up towards our ear levels. And I'm considering trying to build a DIY plexi sheild around the drummer, so the guitars and bass can turn down. We initially had the speakers closer to us, but thought the feedback was worse. Does anyone think it'd be worth it to face towards the long wall in this big space? Or would we be better off putting our energy into blocking our drummer and turning down? Should I invest in floor monitors? Or will we still have the same problem. I suspect we play at about 120db.

Our singer likes to move the mic around. I've told him to try and keep it pointed opposite the PA's. Are there any other tips? I also suspect he's holding it too far from his mouth. He likes to scream and holds it about 1' away. Which I told him is fine when he's screaming, but he should be holding it closer other times, right?

• Members

Originally posted by oddjobmt

I suspect we play at about 120db.

That's awfully loud to begin with! Dang! Hope you're wearing hearing protection. Do whatever you can to reduce spl's! Build a shield, get those drum silencer pad thingys, whatever you can! Hang blankets to deaden the room. Put up egg crates.

How can you even tell if you're all in the same key or hitting the same chords?

Be careful of your hearing. You only get it once!

Rick

• Members

Definitely turn down, (I know this is hard for some people) I just bailed from a band that had a guitarist that wouldn't. Find some old carpet someone wants to get rid of and put it on the floor and if possible the walls. Egg crates on the wall work good too, just takes alot of them,lol! Monitors on the floor help alot too. Do these things and you'll be very happy at practice.

• Members

Turn down and get the drummer to use some sticks like these.....http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030721203552068085097080023210/g=home/search/detail/base_id/38773 Lower volume at practice is a great way to make your band a better band. First of all, it takes disipline. Second, it will allow you to actually hear your mistakes. Third, it will condition you to play lower in clubs. You'll find out that no matter how good your band is, you'll surely chase a crowd out of a bar in a hurry if you are too loud.

• Members

Originally posted by oddjobmt

The problem is, once we get the drums and rhythm section going, the vocalist complains he can't hear himself.

Get him some earplugs, have him put these in. Now he'll hear himself well.

I suspect we play at about 120db.

You need to turn down.

• Members

You will notice that the the second knob from the right is the "volume" knob. You might have to instruct your guitarists that this knob will also turn the amp down. Don't be surprised if they don't know this, many guitarists don't.

dsl100frontpanellarge.jpg

Archived