Microphones

• Members

Originally posted by jrthib

I'm new in the recordind/live sound bussiness and i have a question. Does my Shure SM57 Microphone need a preamp?

see.. i'm a senior member cause i got 1k+ posts >=)

• Members

Phantom power is not needed with a Shure SM57, it is a dynamic mic. Most mixers have premaps built into their mic channels, however an outboard microphone preamp can be a vast improvement over the stock preamps in many of the smaller inexpensive mixing boards.

Oh, and Jasman, you forgot "Funky" in your sig, I've never heard a guitar as good at funk riffs as a good vintage strat ;)

• Members

Originally posted by ATOMICDOG1

Phantom power is not needed with a Shure SM57, it is a dynamic mic. Most mixers have premaps built into their mic channels, however an outboard microphone preamp can be a vast improvement over the stock preamps in many of the smaller inexpensive mixing boards.

ah ok i think i was confused as to what "phatom power" is

• Members

Phantom power is a sneaky way of getting some electricity to some microphones which need it while not screwing up microphones which don't.

SM57s don't need power.

If you've got a mixer with XLR (three-pin connectors with a cylinder around the three pins) inputs then you've got mic preamps which will deal with the 57 just fine.

External, higher-quality mic preamps are for recording tweak weenies. You don't need them. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Scodiddly

Phantom power is a sneaky way of getting some electricity to some microphones which need it while not screwing up microphones which don't.

SM57s don't need power.

If you've got a mixer with XLR (three-pin connectors with a cylinder around the three pins) inputs then you've got mic preamps which will deal with the 57 just fine.

External, higher-quality mic preamps are for recording tweak weenies. You don't need them.
:)

yea i confused phantom power with a mic preamp

Archived