• Members

I have a project that I am part of and I need to record a sound in the 10hz-15hz range. I bought a condenser microphone that can capture 10hz-20,000khz, now I have to buy a mic preamp and a sound card. My question is: does the frequency response range of the pre-amp (most are 20hz and up) or the sound card (20hz and up) important for recording this sound. Will a preamp which has a response range of 20hz-200khz be able to correctly amplify a 10hz sound and will a sound card be able to capture it?

• CMS Author

Originally posted by teknobrat2003

I have a project that I am part of and I need to record a sound in the 10hz-15hz range. I bought a condenser microphone that can capture 10hz-20,000khz, now I have to buy a mic preamp and a sound card. My question is: does the frequency response range of the pre-amp (most are 20hz and up) or the sound card (20hz and up) important for recording this sound. Will a preamp which has a response range of 20hz-200khz be able to correctly amplify a 10hz sound and will a sound card be able to capture it?

How would you or anyone know whether the sound was correctly amplified?.....10-15Hz is well below the range of human hearing, and below the range of decent output response of most drivers. However it's right in the range where it can cause great physical 'discomfort' to most humans. What's the project?

• Members

The specified frequency ranges are working ranges, usually optimized for the human response bandwidth. That's why you'll see "20Hz - 20kHz +/-3dB" or somesuch. That doesn't mean that frequencies above or below that passband are ignored.

So ... any unfiltered signal path of decent equipment should be able to record frequencies that are outside of the specified range.

Once you get the signal into the digital domain, HPF it at 10Hz and LPF it at 20Hz (you may have to do this several times, depending on the software) and normalize what's left.

You are in the range that affects the nervous system, though, so if you feel a bit of anxiety while playing the file you may want to shut off your speakers. ;)

• CMS Author

Originally posted by teknobrat2003

we are recording the sound of an aircraft engine and we need to measure a range from 10-20hz, that is the assignment, and then we need to analyze that wav in a wave editing program, so can you help me figure out how to do this?

I think all the advice you've gotten so far is spot on. You're working at bleeding edge of the response curve for all but truly specialized (and unbelievably costly) test equipment, so you'll have to take the specs you see with something of a grain of salt, and try to account for those response problems and anomalies in your analysis.

Archived