is this a good deal?

• Members

hello, sorry for my ignorance....

an ex-drummer for our band brought once a powered head and a speaker for the vocals... huge set for a single room.. he quit and took his gear with him.

Now he's selling them to me... the thing is I didn't even look at it when we had it in our room; I only remember it sounding really loud for our room and more than what we needed.

He says, it's a Peavey Mark IV head, and a Hartke cabinet that handles 300 watts. I remember the cabinet, it had a small horn on top and a 12 or 15" speaker in the center. I've searched and it seems this thing is really for bass, both the head and the cabinet, and he's selling them both for $350. They are used but work well...

we were actually looking for some kind of pa that we could grow with, and start with $400... buying maybe a used amp and a speaker to start...

first of all, is this a good deal? second, would it be acceptable to use it as a PA, connecting later a second speaker to the head?? (I already have a small passive mixer, behringer MX802A). The guy says the head can drive 2 speakers. I know this may not be intended as a PA, but we were planning to start one for the same money that this guy wants for his gear.

thanks..!

• Members

You could be in a little bit of a pickle, here. It looks like you're old drummer bought a bass rig and now he wants to dump it. First of all, the Hartke 15 has no horn. I wouldn't think of using it as a main. Secondly, you might be better off trying to hit a pawn shop or look in the local paper to get a real power amp and a few speakers that will do the job. Third, you are definitely going to need more money. It's only a good deal if you can use it, it hasn't been beat up and it's cheap. If I were you, I'd pass. This setup is of no use to anyone for a PA application.

Archived