wiring question: using an aux to drive headphones

• Members

hello all:

i've got some gigs coming up where our drummer is going to be wearing headphones instead of using his usual floor monitor.

we have one pre fader aux send set aside for the drummer's mix right now, the problem is that the little rolls headphone amp we have only accepts a stereo TRS input.

i'm wondering if there's a cable i can wire up to take the single balanced TRS aux out from our console (spirit studio 24x8) down a return line of our snake (XLR) into the stereo input of the rolls headphone amp. i've tried a few things but only end up with signal in one side of the headphones.

any help would be great ! thanks !

matt

• Members

Are you sure the Rolls doesen't have a way to change it to a mono input? The little personal monitor mixers I've delt with had a piece you could move with a set of needlenose pliers or tweezers to another set of contacts to switch to mono. Basically a cheap switch. You didn't have to open it up, there was a rectangle hole in the housing to fit the pliers in.

• Members

YOu can get adaptors even at Radio Shack that will turn a stero TRS 1/4" into a mono 1/4 ince easily... or to go the other way too.. whatever you need to do it is possible, so long as you get the right adaptors... I do this with our headphone rig...

• Members

whatever you do, make sure you dont end up summing the two lines of the balanced send! you'll get exactly nothing, or just about.

you'll have to unbalance the send by using a mono (TS) jack at some point before the headamp.

if you open up the headamp, you will see two exposed points (strips of wire - mebbe even resistors, i cant quite remember) at the input. use a small wire or staple pin to join them. voila, your input signal goes to both L and R.

hope this helps

AS

Archived