Time for me to update my PA system and...

• Members

...yeah I've hung around here a lot, not posting so much as absorbing information that floats around, but I'm still shaky on what to do.

I need a new PA system for band practices, nothing huge, I've been using a 300 watt Peavey system (I'm pretty sure it was a package system with a pair of three-way towers running 150 watts each, four inputs, getting old). So my lower limit is 150 watts per side, problem is, I can't really find any PA systems that are in that range. Money isn't too much of an issue although I'd like to keep it around a grand.

I don't think that budget and demand is too unreasonable. The Fender Passport systems put out around 125 watts per side for a lot less than $1000...so why does everything seem to stop at 125 watts? Am I going to have to buy the speakers and power amp separately? If so, what do I need to be careful about.

As far as I know, if I have to buy separately I can buy the cabinets that run 200 watts each, a 400 watt power amp, and as long the power amp runs at eight ohms and the cabinets do too...I'm fine right?

• Members

Is this just a system for practice? Do you plan on using 2 speakers a board and a power amp? Why not try to get something that you can expand with? How many guys do you have in your band?

Try this.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030725182204068085097080846962/g=home/search/detail/base_id/54745

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030725182204068085097080846962/g=live/search/detail/base_id/42886

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030725182204068085097080846962/g=live/g=live/search/bigpid/base_id/88598/

You'd be $100 over budget but you'd get some effects on the board, you'd get some nice speakers for the money and you'd get a decent power amp. You could the power amp and the speakers later for a monitor amp and mains for small clubs. Look at the long run, can you utilize anything from a passport system if you took it out to do a gig? Probably not but you could if you did it a different way. So, you could be throwing your money away. This suggestion was one off of the top of my head. If I were you, I'd buy with the intention of expanding. That way, you're not throwing a ton of money away and wishing that you had done it differently.

• Members

Originally posted by Fear My Potato

...Money isn't too much of an issue although I'd like to keep it around a grand.

OK,who's giggling and who is rolling their eyes?

How about a Behringer UB1832 or UB2222 mixer for about $250,a pair of American Audio APX152's for $400/pair,and a QSC RMX 1450 or a Yamaha CP2000. That will put you at about $1050. The mixer has built-in effects. You will want to add an EQ ASAP for another $100-150.

• Members

If you've "hung around here a lot" then you know this is the numero uno type of post. The topic has been beaten into the ground.

My advice, KEEP WHAT YOU HAVE AND SAVE YOUR MONEY. If the band thing moves to a gigging situation you'll have more money to spend on a worthy PA. Blowing it all on a practice PA that isn't gig worthy makes no sense to me if you already have something passable for practice.

If your $1000 is itchin' to be spent.....

1) Get a decent powered speaker that can be used as a main later (you can just buy another when you need it.

or

2) Tommy Tune's suggestion

or

3) Buy a "monitor rig" - Essentially #2, but with a couple of wedges. Best way to set up a practice PA anyway and obviously usable in gig situation.

• Members

Yup with that budget you'd certainly be better off buying active speakers or a monitor system rather than filling your budget with crap!

150watts is a home stereo in a box that makes you think otherwise....

$=wattage

wattage=headroom

headroom=the start of a decent sounding rig

best of luck.....

Archived