got my first sound gig!

• Members

my first "sound man" gig is tomorrow night! my regular friday night gig got cancelled and a friend of mine needed somebody to do sound for him so i got hooked up! i've never run sound for "another band" before. i've always just run sound from the stage of whatever band of i've been in.

i've learned a lot and i think i do a passing job of it but one thing that i always have trouble with is getting a sound that i like from the bass drum.

any advise? how do i get a nice, punchy sound outta the bass drum without that "cardboard" thwacky sound? my board is a mackie 1642 with high/sweep mid/low per channel.

anyhow, wish me luck!

• Members
Originally posted by melancholy mechanic

my first "sound man" gig is tomorrow night! my regular friday night gig got cancelled and a friend of mine needed somebody to do sound for him so i got hooked up! i've never run sound for "another band" before. i've always just run sound from the stage of whatever band of i've been in.

i've learned a lot and i think i do a passing job of it but one thing that i always have trouble with is getting a sound that i like from the bass drum.

any advise? how do i get a nice, punchy sound outta the bass drum without that "cardboard" thwacky sound? my board is a mackie 1642 with high/sweep mid/low per channel.

anyhow, wish me luck!

What kind of subs do you have and are you using any separate EQ on the kick? Also,what mic? How low does the mid band sweep on the channel?

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

What kind of subs do you have and are you using any separate EQ on the kick? Also,what mic? How low does the mid band sweep on the channel?

you know, i believe i'm gonna have an extra channel on my 15 band EQ i could insert on the bass drum.

the mic, bass drum, and drummer are all crap. i'm not gonna try to perform any miracles... just do the best i can :D:D

i have two mackie SRM450's for mains and a single 1501 for a sub. the sub has a built in x-over at 120hz.

• Members

I wouldn't get all hot and bothered about a "hot-{censored}" kick mic, your speakers will be the limiting factor anyway.

Just use common sense, and don't try to get more out of the system than it can safely and reasonably handle.

• Members

LOL, my situation is backwards--I do sound for other people's bands but I'm not in a band myself. Good news is if I do end up in a band, I'll have the stuff I'd need, minus subs....

The downside to SR for other bands is it's almost never the same situation twice, so you have to really be on your toes! Take agedhorse's advice, and keep your wits about you. I have a gig with an irish folk band tomorrow in an odd-sized bar which is kind of a pain, and then at an outdoor wedding next week. I'm nervous about the wedding, but cool with the pub as it's a gig I've done before.

Good luck!

BTW melancholy, where's your gig? Mine's in Ashwaubenon/DePere....

• Members

I used to have a lame drum/drummer in a band I was in, I couldn't do anything with him or his kit, so I gated the hell out of to basically give a "pop" that I then processed the hell out of with a TC m-1, it didn't kick ass, but it was passable.

• Members

you know, i believe i'm gonna have an extra channel on my 15 band EQ i could insert on the bass drum.

the mic, bass drum, and drummer are all crap. i'm not gonna try to perform any miracles... just do the best i can
:D

i have two mackie SRM450's for mains and a single 1501 for a sub. the sub has a built in x-over at 120hz.

Try it straight up using only the channel strip. If it sounds bad,take the mid cut/boost and cut it quite a bit and then sweep the frequency control around and see if you can find the bad frequency(150-250hz,maybe?) Then add a little snap on top and maybe just a hair of boost on the lowend if you need to. But very little,since it appears that you won't have much headroom to spare.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

I wouldn't get all hot and bothered about a "hot-{censored}" kick mic, your speakers will be the limiting factor anyway.

Just use common sense, and don't try to get more out of the system than it can safely and reasonably handle.

you know, it's kind of funny. the setup i have sounds good. the group that i play in gets compliments on it pretty regularly and often times we are thanked by bar owners for not cranking the {censored} out of it. i realize that my PA isn't going to knock any pictures off the wall, but do bands really have to be that loud? there are a lot of small clubs here in town where the PA's totally wail but sound like hell. i dunno, i guess i would rather sound good than loud.

• Members

Originally posted by dirtyragamuffin

BTW melancholy, where's your gig? Mine's in Ashwaubenon/DePere....

hanrahan's? lol, if so, that's my regular friday night gig :D we only found out last friday that kurt had booked a different band :mad: not that we mind but it'd be nice to know in advance.... i just got lucky and booked this SR gig.

the band i'm working for is called the boxsprings and is playing at the bar east.

tlbonehead and everyone: thanks for the advise! i'll let you guys know how it goes

• Members

hanrahan's? lol, if so, that's my regular friday night gig
we only found out last friday that kurt had booked a different band
:mad:
not that we mind but it'd be nice to know in advance.... i just got lucky and booked this SR gig.

LOL, yup it's Hanrahan's :p I'm with sheamus fitzpatrick and the mcnally boys, they're all friends of mine. They play there monthly though their last gig was cancelled due to emergency...they're definitely a difficult band to mic up. Lotsa vey old, very odd acoustic folk instruments, and there's really no good place to mix in that place!

Funny about the booking thing...this one has been booked for a while, so that's weird that kurt hadn't scheduled you around that. He and the hanrahans staff are always good to us at any rate, and there's always at least a decent crowd to play to...St. Paddy's day was absolutely insane, I couldn't believe so many peope crammed into that place. Subsequent crowds have been much smaller but still decent, especially compared to what you get in frickin' oshkosh. How do you guys do there?

• Members

LOL, yup it's Hanrahan's
:p
I'm with sheamus fitzpatrick and the mcnally boys, they're all friends of mine. They play there monthly though their last gig was cancelled due to emergency...they're definitely a difficult band to mic up. Lotsa vey old, very odd acoustic folk instruments, and there's really no good place to mix in that place!

Funny about the booking thing...this one has been booked for a while, so that's weird that kurt hadn't scheduled you around that. He and the hanrahans staff are always good to us at any rate, and there's always at least a decent crowd to play to...St. Paddy's day was absolutely insane, I couldn't believe so many peope crammed into that place. Subsequent crowds have been much smaller but still decent, especially compared to what you get in frickin' oshkosh. How do you guys do there?

i actually saw you on st. paddy's day when you guys were there! fun show! small world, eh? we usually have a pretty decent crowd, i would say, although it's slowed down being summer and all - too many people up north for the weekends. we have a handfull of customers who come almost every week just to see us which is pretty cool. the staff is always really cool except about this... it's happened twice now where we found out that we weren't playing because we read it in the entertainer :rolleyes: it's no that big a deal but it'd be nice to know so we can make other plans or book another gig.

• Members

Originally posted by rickkreuzer

GEEZ!!

I wish I knew that I visited here a few months ago. We've got a summer cottage not too far from you guys up near Mountain/Lakewood area. I would have loved to stop in to check out your group!

Perhaps next year?

Rick

yeah, let me know when you're here! i've actually played up in lakewood.

the gig went really well! there was a couple of feedback problems but i got them cleared up easily. there were actually two bands and i think i made them both sound pretty good. well, i mean, at least i didn't make them sound any worse :D

i was even almost able to get an okay bass drum sound! it's really cool to be on the other side where you can really listen and hear what's going on and make adjustments and such. also, it was nice to hear how my PA actually sounds like out front! maybe i should start pimping myself out as a sound man :D

• Members

you know, it's kind of funny. the setup i have sounds good. the group that i play in gets compliments on it pretty regularly and often times we are thanked by bar owners for not cranking the {censored} out of it. i realize that my PA isn't going to knock any pictures off the wall, but do bands really have to be that loud? there are a lot of small clubs here in town where the PA's totally wail but sound like hell. i dunno, i guess i would rather sound good than loud.

I couldn't agree with you more! That's the common sense part of the equation.

• Members

i actually saw you on st. paddy's day when you guys were there! fun show! small world, eh? we usually have a pretty decent crowd, i would say, although it's slowed down being summer and all - too many people up north for the weekends. we have a handfull of customers who come almost every week just to see us which is pretty cool. the staff is always really cool except about this... it's happened twice now where we found out that we weren't playing because we read it in the entertainer
:rolleyes:
it's no that big a deal but it'd be nice to know so we can make other plans or book another gig.

LOL small world...man, the sound was a real pain in the ass that weekend...Hopefully you weren't there the first night--sound was awful because the band wanted to be mic'd only with a couple condensers, Terje style. Needless to say I drove back to my studio in Oshkosh the next morning to get my mic case, stands, and my 16 channel mixer :eek: I do recall it sounding a bit better on the actual holiday though, considering... The show last night went well and there was a good crowd, though I had some really weird ground hum problems that I'll post a thread about later...I think it might be time to retire the Kelsey 16+3 :( How'd your gig go?

Yeah, they did the same thing to us a couple months ago where they led us to believe we were booked when we weren't, and then last month the band had to cancel. But now it looks like we're back to monthly shows there, and in September they're doing a "halfway to St. Paddy's Day" thing. Otherwise, you're right, they're cool there--comp rooms, drinks etc. and they pay us right after the show--very nice! :)

• Members

We play a lot of the same clubs as some of the bands with maniac drummers and a couple guitarists with Rectos or TSL half-stacks,or maxed out Twins pointed straight out into the crowd. I use about 6000 watts on mains and some of these other bands just have a 15" cab per side. We seldom get complaints about volume and a lot of these bands do. I guarantee that we are louder on a DB meter than most of them,but they just sound hard and muddy-loud.

• Members

LOL small world...man, the sound was a real pain in the ass that weekend...Hopefully you weren't there the first night--sound was awful because the band wanted to be mic'd only with a couple condensers, Terje style. Needless to say I drove back to my studio in Oshkosh the next morning to get my mic case, stands, and my 16 channel mixer
:eek:
I do recall it sounding a bit better on the actual holiday though, considering... The show last night went well and there was a good crowd, though I had some really weird ground hum problems that I'll post a thread about later...I think it might be time to retire the Kelsey 16+3
:(
How'd your gig go?

Yeah, they did the same thing to us a couple months ago where they led us to believe we were booked when we weren't, and then last month the band had to cancel. But now it looks like we're back to monthly shows there, and in September they're doing a "halfway to St. Paddy's Day" thing. Otherwise, you're right, they're cool there--comp rooms, drinks etc. and they pay us right after the show--very nice!
:)

i saw your "Terje" style show - i think it sounded okay but i recall thinking it woulda been better with individual mics ;) i seem to remember not being able to hear some of the instruments very well.

i've never had any sort of "ground hum" there so i can't help you out. could be your equipment or the outlet you were using - i always use the ones right underneath that big ass mirror behind the "stage"

do you do a lot of SR gigs? i seem to remember you saying something about playing in a band. you should let me know when you've got gigs in the area or if you ever know anybody that needs to hire a bass/trumpet player.

• Members

i saw your "Terje" style show - i think it sounded okay but i recall thinking it woulda been better with individual mics
;)
i seem to remember not being able to hear some of the instruments very well.

i've never had any sort of "ground hum" there so i can't help you out. could be your equipment or the outlet you were using - i always use the ones right underneath that big ass mirror behind the "stage"

do you do a lot of SR gigs? i seem to remember you saying something about playing in a band. you should let me know when you've got gigs in the area or if you ever know anybody that needs to hire a bass/trumpet player.

Yeah, I think it was my equipment, around the EQ...I was using the outlet near the front door, and the stage outlet for the power amp.

Saw the Terje-style show, eh? :o Not my best work. The band still mentions not being individually mic'd...not gonna happen, lol! With all the different acoustic instruments they're not well balanced.

I do ocassional SR gig, mostly for friends and acquaintences as they pop up. My PA is too modest for anything else, with the exception of the Allen&Heath GL3300 I just purchased.

I'm not in a band at the moment, but most of my friends are, or at least they're musicians. I'll keep an ear out. What styles do you play?

• Members

I'm not in a band at the moment, but most of my friends are, or at least they're musicians. I'll keep an ear out. What styles do you play?

i play pretty much everything from metal to polkas.... on bass i kind of specialize in bar band type stuff but i read changes and stuff. i'd like to be the guy that people call when their bass player gets sick or quits at the last minute...

on trumpet i can basically do anything - i've been playing semi-pro for many years.

Archived