Daisy chaning question

• Members

Okay, so I will be running sound for my friends band tonight and I have a question. I was just going to use my system, but they said that they would prefer it if I used their's, which is fine by me. So I went by today to check out the system so that I can be familiar with what I am using and they just don't have the juice to get by. All they have is a power amp, two 8 ohm 15" cabs, and a behringer 12 channel mixer. I told them that my system is better and that it would be able to cover the gig, but they still insist upon using their system for some vague reasons. After looking at the insturction manual of their no-name amp I have decided that I can get enough wattage out of it if I run it at four ohms. I asked them and they agreed to allow me to add two of my own boxes to do so, but I have a question. I have never daisy chained cabs to one amp before so here it goes. If I take their 8 ohm cabs and daisy chain them to my 8 ohm cabs it would be 4 ohms per side. Will the amp then send out power as if it was sending out to one 4 ohm speaker? And if so, will that power be distributed to both cabs on each side? I know this is a stupid question, but I have always run 2 cabs per amp, so I have no idea if this will work.

• Members

Ok, here's what ya do.

Take one of your cabs and one of their cabs per side. Take an output from the power amp into the input of one cab. Then, take a speaker cable and run it from the second input of the cab into an input of the other one.

Yes, each cab should receive equal wattage. However, due to speaker efficiency differences, one cab might be louder than the other. Thus my advice to put one of your and one of their cabs per side. That way, your left side won't be louder than your right.

What will they use for foldbackmonitors? If I were you, I'd stack both cabs per side on something sturdy, and turn the top one to face the band so they can hear themselves.

• Members

They are a bunch of punk rock idiots who really couldn't care less about hearing themselves. They told me that they don't need monitiors. I love punk, but some of these guys just forget how to use their brains. BTW, thanks for the reply, that is exactly what I was planning on doing.

• Members

I'd go with the above suggestions, but watch out for phase problems between the different cabinets. If things seem a bit too quiet (and perhaps a bit weird in the mids) try unplugging one cab each side and see if it gets louder.

Of course if these punks are true idiots, just fake plugging in their stuff and run the show from your stuff instead. ;)

• Members

Thanks for all the help. Everything sounded fine and I got some compliments from the opening bands that went through the PA and have been invited to do it again next week if I can. So I have begun to build a reputation with the punks. Once again, thanks.

Archived