• Members

Hi! My band is buying our first PA, we're looking at JBL MP225 and MP225S(per side) but we have some doubts about which power amp to buy. We're looking at Crown CE2000 or XLS 602. We're new at this and we're very confused about power amps, because in some places I read:never run a 500 watts amp into a 300 watts speaker, but in other places people are saying the opposite, What do you think? Can you recommend me some amps? Which will be the best apm to power those speakers?

• Members
Originally posted by chuckylaracha

Hi! My band is buying our first PA, we're looking at JBL MP225 and MP225S(per side) but we have some doubts about which power amp to buy. We're looking at Crown CE2000 or XLS 602. We're new at this and we're very confused about power amps, because in some places I read:never run a 500 watts amp into a 300 watts speaker, but in other places people are saying the opposite, What do you think? Can you recommend me some amps? Which will be the best apm to power those speakers?

Other than not liking most dual 15" designs(especially the budget models with a small horn trying to keep up with too much woofer)I would say get about 500-600 watts per box. Dual 15"s just don't make a lot of sense to me. They still aren't like having subs and they are bulkier and not as clean in their respective frequency band compared to similar dual 12" models. But that's your choice,and to be honest,I've never heard this exact box. I see it has the 2412 high driver,which is a pretty small model.

• Members
Originally posted by tlbonehead

Other than not liking most dual 15" designs(especially the budget models with a small horn trying to keep up with too much woofer)I would say get about 500-600 watts per box. Dual 15"s just don't make a lot of sense to me. They still aren't like having subs and they are bulkier and not as clean in their respective frequency band compared to similar dual 12" models. But that's your choice,and to be honest,I've never heard this exact box. I see it has the 2412 high driver,which is a pretty small model.

BTW,check out the QSC RMX models and also the Yamaha CP2000 which is currently on sale a lot of places.

• Members

Thanks for the replies! Which system do you recommend me? (Speaker and amps)

Like I said,I've never really heard that particular dual 15" cab. I was generalizing,and going by the size of the high frequency driver. What are your requirements? Subs in the future? What will be running through them?

• Members

Agreed - Dual 15 mains are a royal pain and low end models rarely sound acceptable. Plus you can't easily stand mount them. I made this mistake. Go with single 15 mains (if no subs) and double or even single 12's if you have subs.

For amps, you can't go wrong with QSC RMX series. As this is your first PA and it sounds like you will be running from stage, stick to 1.5 X the RMS of the speakers. For instance if you end up with 200W RMS speakers then a 300W amp will work. Pros will exceed 2X the RMS, but A) that ain't you and B) the benefits are marginal versus the risk of blowing up your gear C) The lower end you go the more the specs are fudged anyway.

I like molded plastic or plywood boxes. They are lighter than OSB or MDF and won't fall apart when wet or shake loose over time. This excludes many in your price range. Some low - mid range names to consider:

Yorkville Pulse Series (plywood)

Cerwin Vega (plywood)

American Audio APX-15 (molded)

Nady MC-12 (molded) - not a big nady fan, but I've heard these aren't too bad for the $$$

• Members

I think that I didn't explain myself well, we're thinking about buying both the MP225 and MP225s (SUBS) per side.

I'm also a little confused about the crossover configurations with this system, Do we need just 2 amps (1 for the dual 15" and 1 for the subs) or do we need a third amp just for the high frequency drivers?

• Members

If you are set on double woofers, 12's would still be better. Vocals will be clearer than with the average dual 15. I have moved and heard the SF double 15's. Certainly the MPros will outperform the SF series, but it's still a large, cumbersome main speaker configuration and I just don't see the benefit.

• Members

I think that I didn't explain myself well, we're thinking about buying both the MP225 and MP225s (SUBS) per side.

I'm also a little confused about the crossover configurations with this system, Do we need just 2 amps (1 for the dual 15" and 1 for the subs) or do we need a third amp just for the high frequency drivers?

Ah,the dual 15" band-pass box for subs. A decent dual 12" 2-way cab on top of those would sound pretty nice and would certainly keep up with those subs. Yes,you only need two amps since the horns are crossed over passively. You can triamp,but it isn't necessary in this sized setup. Here's a nice mid/high cab that is available with a couple different woofers and is also available with a 2" driver. http://sonicspeaker.com/t212fr.htm

Archived