new band with about 500 bucks to spend.... help!!

• Members

Hi guys!

I am in a brand new band and we already have a 4 channel mixer. It is small but all we really would mic would be two vocal channels and two drum channels.

What sort of PA speakers do you guys reccomend? We are a loud bluesy band and we usually don't play in front of more than 100 people. Our gigs aren't very big.

We are drums, bass, two guitars, and two vocals.

Thanks in advance!

Aaron

• Members

4 channel mixer? Am I too assume it's a powered mixer? If so, I'm guessing it's pretty low power. I'm also guessing by "running drums" you mean to mic the kick drum. Bad idea. In fact DO NOT run drums through it. If it's the power I think it is (100-150W @ 4 ohms, mono) then any "real" PA speaker is going to be vastly underpowered. Plus, it sounds like you have no options for monitors.

Passable speakers in the under $250 ea range

- Cerwin Vega MI series

- American Audio APX15 (or something like that. They only have one speaker model)

- Possibly Yamaha Club series 12"

- Behringer

• Members

Probably - BUT.... what are you trying to do?

What powered mixer is it?

Exactly what PA equipment do you own?

You have $500 now. How much will you have in 3 months? 6 months? etc......

The key is not to buy junk with the $$$ you have now. Buying the right peice of equipment now and something of quality will allow it to always be used in your rig in the future. For instance, may want to buy a pair of 12" monitor speakers that have a pole mount so they can be used as mains. As your rig grows you can shift them from mains to monitors. Your powered mixer MAY be able to pass as a vocal only monitor amp down the road. Probably not as a main amp for a gig situation. But, I don't know what your powered mixer is.

Archived