Connecting MD player to Spirit F1??

• Members

Reduced output of your other sources?

What type of MD is is, portable or fixed type?

Are you using the line out or a headphone out jack?

Are you going into the mixer mono or stereo, and any adapters?

Are the inputs to the mixer 1/4" or RCA phono?

I have an idea based on some of my own product support experience, but need a little more info first.

• Members

Ok, now when you plug the MD player in, does the mix level of your other sources decrease?

Are you sure that the RCA phono input is an input and not labeled as a record output.

What I am getting at is the output impedences of some of the newer MD's and CD's are very low and may load down an unbuffered output if connected incorrectly.

If you are connecing to a regular aux in or channel input that has line level RCA inputs, then I'm not sure what is happening.

• Members

1.Not that i'm aware of no.

2.The RCA sockets are most definately inputs.

According to the manual "these high impedance inputs are unbalanced on RCA phono connectors and are intended for use with CD,DAT or HIFI equipment."

Can it be that i have finally defeated the Horse!?

• Members

Originally posted by rinkydinkron

According to the manual "these high impedance inputs are unbalanced on RCA phono connectors and are intended for use with CD,DAT or HIFI equipment."

Can it be that i have finally defeated the Horse!?

No way... I an "undefeatable" ;)

I do have an answer for you, after looking over some old Soundcraft info... this is according to some old service info that I expect to be accurate but not from personal experience.

1. The RCA connectors are routed through rotary volume controls. These are 9-10 and 13-14. They are not processed by the channel strip electronics but are intended as "convenience" line inputs which are not eq'd nor routable, they go directly to the Left-Right bus. They also do not get monitored by the stereo channel strip PFL circuit. Since it's line level only, there's little chance for overload or level matching problems.

2. Since it is a line level input, probably +4dBu, it may appear to have lower sensitivity than your other line channels which probably have a sensitivity of -10 - +4 with additional gain provided internally.

Sorry I can't be more detailed about this... I am just an "old horse"!

Archived