Help with simple synth -> speakers setup?

• Members

Hello,

I was directed here from the keys / synth forum.

I have an Emu PK-6 keyboard which I would like to hear in stereo, but I only need it to be heard in a small bedroom.

I love the idea of computer speakers / sub, because I just plug in and play - no mixer, no receiver, no separate amp needed.

However the music store people insisted that my synth would destroy any computer speakers within a week (I was looking at the Roland MA-8's.)

Is there a setup that I can use to go straight to powered speakers, without other components? Remember it's just for my room at home - I don't need stage-caliber power, just something comparable to the built in speakers that many cheap keyboards have. But I don't want a setup that will be easily damaged.

Are there any computer speaker systems that would be totally safe? If I simply need to watch my volume, is it the volume on the speakers or on the synth? Or both?

Thank you for any help!

brahmz118

• Members

If you are using this for a recording situation I would buy a pair of powered monitors like these.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030728090034068085097080377973/g=rec/search/detail/base_id/57822

Sometimes thew problem with music store guys is that they really don't want to be bothered with a solution to your problem if it's a hassle for them. I never understood that. It is their job right? Besides that, I would think that the more they sell, the more they'll make. Just a suggestion. I haven't recorded at home in years. Hope it helps.

• Members

Thank you for your reply. I'm actually not doing any recording, I just get tired of wearing headphones all the time. So can I go directly from my PK-6's analog outputs into the speakers? How do I know if they line-level? Or do I need to go to a mixer first?

And do I just get some sort of splitting adapter to feed my two outputs into the one input?

These powered speakers seem to work just like the computer speakers - that is, they have built-in amplifiers. So what exactly is the difference? How do I know my synth wouldn't destroy these? Can you tell me how to interpret the specs to know the compatibility?

And you're right about the music store people being unhelpful. But it is so frustrating not to know anything. This is why I prefer to buy keyboards with built-in speakers! Thanks to anyone who can help.

brahmz118

• Members

What's your budget? Does it have to be stereo, meaning, with two separate sound sources that can be separated to create a stereo field? Why does the PK-6 have four analog outputs; how are they labled? Have you looked at keyboard combo amps?

Peace,

D

• Members

My budget for this is small, so $800 powered monitors are too much. Plus it's just for my room at home. A cheap Yamaha PSR keyboard with its built-in speakers at high volume is about what I need.

Yes I think it has to be stereo, so that the synth's pan effects can be heard, for example.

The four analog outputs are labeled Main L and R, and Sub L and R. They are all quarter inch jacks.

I have looked at keyboard amps, but I was hoping for an actual stereo setup. I don't think I want to use two keyboard amps simultaneously.

Is this possibly the simplest and cheapest setup:

Synth's four outputs -> cheap mixer -> cheap speakers

And yet, how would I know that the speakers aren't too cheap and prone to damage? Any specific product recommendations for cheap but still useable in this setup?

Thanks anyone for helping someone who's clearly lost.

brahmz118

• Members

Methinks you could buy some powered PC monitors.

Keyboard outputs are close to line level

(from my experience, a bit less than line level with all faders and TVA's set on full)

When shopping for the PC speakers, watch that they accept line level input and you should be OK.

You could buy powered studio (nearfield) monitors.

A bit more expensive but you'd have serious gear instead of toys ...

I found 13 threads when I put "studio monitors" in the HC search engine ...

I bet you would find the same ... ;)

I don't know if this link will work :

search results

• Members

Originally posted by brahmz118

Hello,

Are there any computer speaker systems that would be totally safe? If I simply need to watch my volume, is it the volume on the speakers or on the synth? Or both?

Thank you for any help!

brahmz118

There is no such thing as a "totally safe" speaker system of any type, as accidents/incidents will happen. That said, however, you said you are tired of listening with headphones, so you must be driving the keyboard through phones. You should have no problem powering a reasonably priced set of computer speakers with whatever headphone output you are using.

As for watching the volume, the volume you should be concerned about would be the output of the keyboard, as that is what will overdrive the input of the speakers.

• Members

It's great to get all these replies. However I'm a little confused because in this and another thread I think I'm getting mixed signals.

One person said turn the keyboard volume to the max and then adjust the computer speaker volume to get the right overall volume.

The last reply in this thread seems to suggest keeping the keyboard volume down - did I interpret that right?

Can anyone clear this up? Thank you!

brahmz118

• Members

As to how you set up your volumes, it depends on what system you are running. If your keyboard has a headphone out jack, use that to power a set of computer speakers, and you shouldn't have any problem whatever you set the keyboard volume at.

If, on the other hand, you are using regular output jacks to drive the speakers, the louder you set the keyboard volume, the more voltage you are sending into the speaker inputs. This is where you can run into problems overdriving the speakers' amps. I personally would set the speaker volumes about halfway up, then bring up the keyboard volume until is sounded okay.

• Members

I have these and they kick ass in my den.

http://store.klipsch.com/details.asp?ProdID=35

I have them hooked to the output of a small behringer mixer and I run my computer, satellite TV, guitar, cd player, etc into the mixer. On occasion, I connect my wife's keyboard syth to the mixer too and it sounds great. The subwoofer is very nice and has seperate controls as it can be a bit much if you turn it up!

Archived