w/ or w/o lubricant

• Members

I know this is a simple question but I am going to purchase some contact cleaner for the pots and connections in my gear. Should I buy it with or without the lubricant? Are there any particular brands I should look for or stay away from?

I have been using Electro-Sound Guitar Pickup and ELectronic Cleaner manufactured by Chem-Pak, Inc. Is this stuff OK to use? It is readily available in my area.

Thanks guys.

• Members

Generally, contact cleaner and pots do not go well together sinec the cleaner dissolves the manufacturer's installed lube and then you have a real mess.

Sometimes we will rebuild a pot that we do not have an exact replacement for, provided it's just dirty and that the grit has not damaged either the element or the wiper assembly.

We have had customers bring in a piece of gear that would have been a good deal except that somebody did the "cleaner thing", and now there's crap all over the pcbs and dirt stuck to that.

• Members

I've found the Radio Shack "tuner control cleaner & lubricant" to do a pretty decent job on pots.

What screws most people up is technique, frankly. I remember when some local hot dude was going to fix up our old Soundcraft 1S - there he was, with a can of Cramolin (the can says "use as little as possible"), literally hosing down the circuit boards from the overflow coming out of the pots. Things were never quite right after that, and he never came back for his oscilloscope either.

Generally I'll turn the pot all the way to one side and squirt just a little cleaner in the other side, then turn it back and forth a few times. I might spray in the other side as well, with the wiper again turned all the way opposite. Most pots will sound pretty good and last years longer after that treatment.

The really funny part of the above anecdote is that the boss and the metalhead kid later worked over the board with Rat Shack cleaner and managed to get most of the pots back to usable.

• Members

J,

There's a cleaner lubricant called LPS that I have always had luck with. I used it on my radio gear in the Navy and ever since on my audio gear. It has silicone in it and some teflon. It also comes in a lubricant version and a cleaning version. You should be able to find it in Bradenton. Look at some of the electronic places and also try some of the Marine suppliers at the boat shacks.

Dude I forgot you were in Bradenton. I just finished remodeling the TJ Maxx on 63rd and 41. If you get a chance email me. I have to go back early next week to do some punch.

I'll call ya.

CJ:(

BTW I only read this because I thought it was about sex:( :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by 5slinger

Dude I forgot you were in Bradenton. I just finished remodeling the TJ Maxx on 63rd and 41. If you get a chance email me. I have to go back early next week to do some punch.

I'll call ya.

CJ:(

BTW I only read this because I thought it was about sex:(
:eek:

That's right in the area I live, near the airport.

E-mail coming, Chris.

Archived