Bob Hope's passing

• Members

I know that many of you may not be familiar with Bob Hope's style of entertainment, but with his passing, I urge you all to listen a bit to the tributes that are being aired. He is really the last of the icons that defined a wide swath of clearly American entertainment.

I use the term entertainment broadly, since his material covered song, dance, films although he is best known for his comedy. The skill at his delivery was unmatched and his timing was uncanny. He and his buddies defined a style that has just died along with him. All that remains is his archival material, and the generation(s) of performers that learned from him.

I provided sound for several of his shows (arena tours) in the early 1980's and it was truely awe-inspiring to watch somebody that good at controlling and manipulating an audience. Everyone left the building with memories of a great time, and felt they got their money's worth at $100+/ticket. How about more performers delivering the goods for their high(er) ticket prices?

• Members

Many years ago I saw Bob Hope perform in Long Beach, CA. It was originally supposed to be in an arena, but for some reason they had to move the show. It ended up at the Spruce Goose, right next to the airplane. I can still remember "A Grasshopper named Thornedyke....". Ya had to be there! Anyway, yes, please check out the tributes.

I'm very sad at his passing.

• Members

I posted this on the Bass Forum, but I thought his "Road to. . . " shows were timeless classics. I still find them hilarious.

When my brother was stationed in Vietnam (1968-69), he was able to see one of Hope's USO shows. That was maybe the only highlight of a dreary period of time for him.

The will never be another like Bob Hope.

• Members

I'm only 36 and vaguely familiar with his work. The older you get and the longer that you get to perform, you start to realize brilliance in a different light. From some clips that I've seen, he was brilliant in every aspect of what he did. Besides that, just stop to imagine how many people he knew and how respected he was inside and outside of his field. That alone is enough to amaze me.

• Members

Bob Hope was truly one of the greatest humanitarians of the last century. I sit here and I can't think of a single Hollywood entertainer nowadays that comes close to his level of class and acheivements. I sincerely urge the younger members here at the forum to take the time and watch some of the special tribute shows or rent some of Bob Hope's many movies to see what true talent and impeccable timing really is. Thanks for the memories...

Archived