basic question, the highs & lows

• Members

I've got a Mackie srm450 and it has 100 Watts for the highs (the horn) and 300 Watts for the lows (the 12"). Apparantly the total watts is 400 but the way I see things if the highs is only 100 Watts then isn't that a limiting factor? I know I'm wrong on this I just don't know why. I think bass is softer so it requires more watts to keep up w/ higher frequencies. But I don't c how u can add the highs and lows together since they are different. So if the highs were 50 watts and the lows 1000 watts would that cause a balance problem? I'm totally confused and would appreciate any help.

• Members
Originally posted by semi_divine

I've got a Mackie srm450 and it has 100 Watts for the highs (the horn) and 300 Watts for the lows (the 12"). Apparantly the total watts is 400 but the way I see things if the highs is only 100 Watts then isn't that a limiting factor? I know I'm wrong on this I just don't know why. I think bass is softer so it requires more watts to keep up w/ higher frequencies. But I don't c how u can add the highs and lows together since they are different. So if the highs were 50 watts and the lows 1000 watts would that cause a balance problem? I'm totally confused and would appreciate any help.

Its pretty basic. The lower the frequency,the more power it takes to reproduce it.

• Members

The horn is also quite a bit more efficient than the cone driver. It doesn't need as much power to generate the same SPL.

In fact, that 300/100 ratio seems pretty low. The average decent quality horn has a sensitivity upwards of 107dB. An average sub is what, 97? 98? That's a power factor of ten. I'd think it would be better balanced if the ratio was on the order of 1000/100.

Archived