one real good speaker instead of 2 low end speakers.

• Members

Dont you think most places that you can play using a fender passport, or 2 powered behringer or other low end speakers. You could get by and sound better with one yorkville elite e500p. Shure you wont get as wide a coverage . But what coverage you get will sound alot better. Most places, half the people are there just to hang out and dont care that much about the sound and the ones who do will usually sit up front or in a good listening spot. I think anyplace you can get by with 2 low end speakers you could get by with one decent one. I would rather have my wife play with one mackie or jbl eon than 2 fender passport or nady behringer speakers. So i think one yorkville e500p for 950$ would be a world better than a fender passport or 2 behringer powered speakers and only 200$ more. I think i would rather have one e500p than 2 mackie 450s or jbl eons and it would be a few hundred dollars cheaper. So if these new alesis 99$ mixers with effects are any good which clapton sg says they might be i think thats the best recomendation for the 1000$ pa.

• Members

Mmmmh .....

You consider SRM450 "low end" as well or did I read that wrong ?

You really do believe the E500P is way better than the Mackie in terms of sound quality ?

I never had a chance to compare them.

How about the other Mackie powered speakers (1512 or whatever they're called) ?

• Members

Victor:

I would suggest you stick with the NX-20s until you can get two 15" Elites. The EF-508 and EF-500P have a 60 degree HF spread which means it is rather narrow. With two you will get the coverage you need while one means a lot of your audience will not hear the highs clearly. Along the way, look at Yorkville's new Elite E-152 (passive) cabs. They are only 62 lbs, rated at 800 watts and are the upgrade to the EF-508s I have. Powered speakers are better (IMHO) for a fixed installation, not where you are constantly moving from venue to venue.

We use the NX-20s for smaller, indoor gigs and the EF-508s for larger or outdoor gigs. The 508s are LOUD and clear. The NX-20s work better for us in the smaller venues at the lower volume levels. We use the Yorkie AP812 powered mixer to power the NX-20s and two EV monitors when we are using the Elites. System is scalable, easy to set up and take down and sounds great.

Jim

• Members

Originally posted by JMS 2

Mmmmh .....

You consider SRM450 "low end" as well or did I read that wrong ?

You really do believe the E500P is way better than the Mackie in terms of sound quality ?

I never had a chance to compare them.

How about the other Mackie powered speakers (1512 or whatever they're called) ?

Maybe before you comment on products you should have more knowledge about what you're talking about...at least give the right model numbers for pete's sake.

In the active speaker catagory, I see Mackie, Yorkville, JBL, and other MI-grade makers in the same class. I've only used Mackie (extensively), and JBL and found Mackie to be the best so far. I've played through a Yorkville Active Elite system, and had terrible sound, but that was probably due to the rest of the system and the person running it. Haven't used the other Yorkvilles, so I can't comment. I do suspect that they are very fine products, judging from the comments I read on here.

BTW, the next-step up in the Mackie Active line is the SA1521 (15"/1.75" 500 bi-amped watts), and then the SR1530 (15"/6"/1.75" 500 tri-amped watts).

Archived