Shure E5c vs. Sony's MDR-EX70LP Fontopias for earphones w/ IEM system?

• Members

The EX70's don't isolate very much, and they are not ergonomically friendly for onstage monitoring use.

They're not really pro gear, which is probably why most won't use them for in-ear monitoring.

All of our earphones (I work for Shure) are more transparent when compared to the EX70.

Of course, I'm biased. Maybe someone else will chime in.

• Members

Thanks for the reply.

I read several reviews and one of the things that stuck out the most was that everyone agreed that they (the Sonys) had very good isolation. Folks were saying that they couldn't hear anything people were saying when they were talking to them while standing right in front of them.

Rave reviews on sound quality as well. My main concern though is that the Sonys perform similar to hifi speakers by accentuating the highs & lows, and I will actually end up hearing an inaccurate representation of my mix. Would prefer something that is closer to a studio reference monitor. There does seem to be quite a gap in price though, so I'm curious to find out more.

• Members

I'm getting ready to purchase E-5s to replace my existing E-2s. As I understand, the main difference between the E-5s and other manufacturers or models, is that they have dual drivers. I guess this would be similar to a full range speaker versus a Bi-amp. Much better quality in the bi-amp...

• Members

J the D: I agree that in-ear earphones alone aren't adequate for studio mixes, but they are a nice reference point to evaluate mixes that are being worked on.

irpacynot: An E5, E1 or E2 will all be more accurate than most earbuds intended for walkmans. They are all more smooth and flat than most non-isolating earbuds. The E5c - in particular - is quite accurate. It is perhaps the most accurate non-custom earphone on the market.

• Members

Thanks.

No, I am not intending on doing any mixing with them, at least not in a studio setting, but definitely am interested in getting the most accurate represtation of what the audience will be hearing for obvious reasons.

I've gone through quite a few set-ups in the last few years. I'm a solo acoustic player/singer, and now I'm using my Roland VS-880EX as a preamp for both my acoustics & vocals. I'm using its master outs to go into two channels on whatever board I'm using on a given night. It's simplified things for me a little bit. I've got a nice mix that I set up using my studio reference monitors, so when I plug in at a venue it makes fine tuning a little easier. I pretty much leave everything on my VS the way it is and use their stuff to sound the room. I was contemplating getting a pair of Shure E5s and a long cable and just plugging directly into the phones out on the VS. For a non-stagejumper, what do you all think about doin' that for an IEM set-up?

Thanks!

• Members

Matt:

I love my E-5s with the Sensaphone custom earplugs (went that route rather than the local audiologist making them from scratch). They make my bass playing life much easier in the venues I work that use IEMs. I would never, ever rely on them to get anything but my personal monitor mix right.

If I'm mixing FOH I need to hear the FOH. Otherwise I am not hearing what the paying public is hearing.

If I were to mix a recording I would want studio monitors that are very accurate. Everything has its place. After the initial mix I would use the earphones, car speakers and and home stereos to validate the mix.

My $0.02

JD

• Members

Originally posted by irpacynot

I was contemplating getting a pair of Shure E5s and a long cable and just plugging directly into the phones out on the VS. For a non-stagejumper, what do you all think about doin' that for an IEM set-up?

Thanks!

Does it have a limiter? Otherwise feedback might kill.

• Members

Just as a reference, I am purchasing my E-5s for mixing off the stage. I do quite a bit of gigs where a snake is not used and I either mix from the side of stage or near the rear. In this case, apart from running back and forth all night, I need good isolating earphones to block out loud monitors, drums, GTRs, etc... I started using the E-2s and they worked allright but the bass response isn't all there.

I also use the E2s for soloing instruments / vocals when mixing from "up front" w/ a snake. I guess I'm tired of having to hold my AKG phones to my ear in order isolate them enough to hear what's actually coming out of the phones. The other good thing about the IEMs for FOH as I see it is that you can use them as plugs and cut down on some of ringing (tinitus) after the shows. What I'd like to do with E-5s is keep them in my ears most of the time and take them off every few minutes to make sure everything allright...

I've developing serious hearing issues that I need to either solve completely or reduce my exposure considerably. This is the only practical way I've found to reduce exposure and at the same hear the mix...

• Members

J the D:

How do you go about getting the sensaphonics with E-5s. Which model sensaphonic did get (silicone)? Is there a noticable difference between the sens and the universal plastic insert on E-5s?

I appreciate your insight...

Mike

• Members

Originally posted by J the D

Does it have a limiter? Otherwise feedback might kill.

Yup. My current mix settings include a limiter (since I slap the acoustic here & there) over the entire mix.

Those E5s sure are expensive though - whew! Perhaps the E2s will suffice? I would say my main reason for feeling the need for IEMs is that some of these places get so loud. The soundguys tell me I can be heard fine out in the room, but of course they can't bring the monitors up too loud, especially with an acoustic guitar. I have to get right up to the monitor and struggle to hear when tuning, and of course it's hard to tell what I'm playing at any given moment.

Is it really necessary to have the transmitter/receiver system, or can I hardwire direct to my phones out?

Thanks

• Members

J the D: The Sensaphonic material is the best IMHO. I have customs from all of the major companies, and the soft material used by Sensaphonics is amazing. Kickass that you have them.

Drumtech: I'm curious to hear your thoughts about the low frecuency response of the E2 Vs. the E5. If you get a chance, let us know.

If you want a custom sleeve, call Sensaphonics at (877) 848-1714. They will refer you to an audiologist in your area that can take the impression of your ear, and you'll get your molds about a week later.

Big, noticeable difference between our universal sleeves and a custom. Isolation is highest with the custom, hands down.

irpacynot: The headphone out would probably be adequate for your setup. Just have the sound guy turn the floor monitors off. This will reduce the chance of feedback. You'll probably have plenty of time before your first gig with them to play around and get everything right. Beware, you will be isolated rather heavily from the audience. But maybe that's what you're looking for.

• Members

Originally posted by Sugarfried

irpacynot: The headphone out would probably be adequate for your setup. Just have the sound guy turn the floor monitors off. This will reduce the chance of feedback. You'll probably have plenty of time before your first gig with them to play around and get everything right. Beware, you will be isolated rather heavily from the audience. But maybe that's what you're looking for.

Yeah, I was just thinkin' about that fact. But, since most of the really loud places are dinner crowds, they're not really paying too close attention anyway. Most other places I do, like coffee shops and dessert eateries don't have any monitors at all, but the environment is not quite as loud.

I guess for the moment I'd probably do best to just try a pair of the E2s, and this way if it does not work due to isolation I won't have invested too much.

Thanks, folks!

• Members

Originally posted by Sugarfried

If you want a custom sleeve, call
at (877) 848-1714. They will refer you to an audiologist in your area that can take the impression of your ear, and you'll get your molds about a week later.

Big, noticeable difference between our universal sleeves and a custom. Isolation is highest with the custom, hands down.

I went to a local audiologist on their list. The silicone seal is exactly the shape of MY ear and my ear canal doesn't hurt in the middle of the fourth set. The E-5s fit perfectly and everything is extremely isolated. Much superior to the universal rubber sleeves.

I initially was being given a set of house E-1s in some shows where I was playing bass direct into the PA without an amp. I was not hearing myself clearly. I bought a personal set of E-5s and it is like night and day. I have not had a chance to try the E-2s.

• Members

my $0.02 on the E2s:

when im playing bass - most of the time - i use the transmixer to mix one channel of bass and one channel of monitor mix (which already has some bass in it), and i can hear it well. the only thing i miss is the THUMP from a bass amp, the feeling of air moving. and, if the board EQs arent done right, it's easy for the bass to get lost in the ears. since i play w/out an amp most of the time, i rely on feel to make sure im playing right. and since i sing too, it's like playing blind AND deaf (at least, deaf to the bass). but the E2s do their job.

the rest of the time, im either solo acoustic + vox, or playing lead guitar in a band (and vox again). either way, the E2s do their job too, plenty well. since i dont need a ton of LF in my ears, i can hear pretty well, without distortion.

the downsides to the E2s are noticeable but minor: since i use the stock plugs, my ears get real sore just halfway through the set. also, there's a lack of high-end, the 'shimmer' that im accustomed to from a good horn. then again, it's largely because i use a 58 and dont like the sound. E2s also cause a lack of presence that is normal with the isolation.

my new setup includes a PEQ on the mix so i can crank up the presence and shimmer side of things.

all things said and considered, i'd recommend the E2s if you're on a budget. they'll do the job, and do it well at that. true, not as good as E5s, but for just solo AG/vox, you dont need much low end.

hope this helps

AS

Archived