putting together an alternative to an acoustic amp

• Members

so, right now, I've got a 2-channel, 60W Crate acoustic amp. I use it occasionally, but am really only keeping it b/c it works as a sort of 2-channel, powered/speakered PA.

Say I sell it for $320 or so. Are there some more PA-designed alternatives I could get that would sound as good (which isn't really that good)? Of course, it wouldn't have to be fancy, but I would like one mic input (mics, cables, and stands aren't really an issue at this point, btw).

Any thoughts/suggestions, anybody?

• Members

Originally posted by crazybilly

yeah, but that won't amplify anything, unfortuantely,
;)
which is the acoustic amp's main functionality at this point.

I just picked up a used SWR Baby Blue combo(2x8"/3").... it's a great all purpose acoustic bass/bass/guitar/keys monitor amp... as long as you don't need tons of volume,,,

it's compact(very portable),, and sounds great.....

• Members

My picky flattop player got rid of his award winning Crate acoustic amplifier and bought a Yorkville AP812 powered mixer and two Yorkville NX-20 cabs. It has a Hi-Z input for the guitar and a decent sounding mike preamp for vocals. About $1,600.

He keeps a Fender Passport system hooked up in his music room. He no longer owns any guitar amps.

• Members

In the powered speaker line I would go with the Yorkville NX520P. I think it's about 500 watts and should have a couple of inputs for mic and guitar (eliminating the need for DI). If it's just you and your guitar you wouldn't even need a small mixer. We just bought a couple of the huge EF500P powered Yorkvilles and love them. They're a little overkill for what you want though at 800 watts and pretty heavy. The smaller (12") NX speaker is the lightest in it's class and still has plenty of power. You could find one for under $650 shipped without trying too hard.

What kind of budget are we looking at, btw?

Jason

• Members

well....i suppose it depends on what I can get for the crate amp....in essence, this rig would just replace the amp. The idea is to get rid of somethign that's doing a medicore job at sort-of what it's designed for, and get something that either:

a) sounds better and is equivocal feature-wise

or

b) sounds about the same and has more features (by which I mean, more channels ;)

• Members

teeny mixer and a nice fullrange powered speaker, IMHO

as mentioned on another thread - "buy quality and you won't have to buy again for quite some time" ... i would add to that "look for versatility"

if its just your guitar and vox that teeny mixer could come in handy by allowing you to add a little cd player for break music or recording demos at home...

• Members

Originally posted by jlindquist

The powered speaker idea works well, but you probably will not be happy with it unless you leave room in your budget for some kind of compression and eq.

I was thinking the same thing. Any electric/acoustic plugged directly into a powered speaker (mixer or not) will probably sound pretty sterile without any processing. The Yamaha AG Stomp is a really cool little swiss-army-knife processor made specifically for acoustic guitar. But at $400 they're not exactly cheap.

Peace,

D

Archived