Soundman - Behringer mixer builders

• Members

Is the old "B" contractor you are thinking about the same one who had payment issues and basically said it wasn't worth the hassle? It's really scarey when the Chinese will walk away from a deal that has decent cash flow, even if the profit isn't great.

• Members
Originally posted by agedhorse

Is the old "B" contractor you are thinking about the same one who had payment issues and basically said it wasn't worth the hassle? It's really scarey when the Chinese will walk away from a deal that has decent cash flow, even if the profit isn't great.

Is Uli becomming the Sam Walton of the electronics world? Doesn't believe in paying the bills on time?

• Members

Since we're on the Behringer subject there's a bit of a debate right now over in Recording that was sparked by the release of their latest mic-clone.

Don't want to take away from this forum but some interesting points were made there, as there were on here, too...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=388284

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

Just a short comment on this subject:

Right now the SR industry (among others) is enjoying lower production costs for some equipment utilizing the production capacity idled by the computer market. This is escpecially true concerning PC board heavy components like mixing boards, amplifiers, and effects. Behringer is far from alone in jobbing out sub assemblies or whole units.

That's probably pretty accurate. Cost of manufacture overseas hasn't been lower ever.

• Members

I was at a conference last week that included live band performances. The sound company there was quite nice, and had an impressive rig.

I saw:

Soundcraft 40:8 FOH board (not sure of model, but it was a step or two up from the Live-8 that he use to use)

Ashley EQ

Lexicon effects, and other pro quality processing gear.

Soundcraft Live-8 40ch. monitor board

Professional Splitter snake

Pro Crown power

(8) 2x18" EAW subs

(8) 15"/10"/horn EAW low mid/mid/high cabs

Very nice rig, right? From what I could tell, it was all pro-quality, and the sound was good.

In his FOH rack he also had a half-dozen Behringer compressors and gates for all the drums and vocals, and whatever else.

I just find it funny that we can diss the brand all night long, but when it comes down to it, everyone owns at least one piece of their gear, and many own a bunch of it...for the simple fact that it's cheap and it does it's job well.

The "garbage" gear called Behringer is obviously good enough to be in the same rack as all the "pro" brands costing hundreds and thousands more.

I'm not at all trying to start an argument here, I just thought that was an interesting fact.

• Members

very true...I do have a Behringer DI. I had to buy it quick before a gig once so I could put an upright bass PU direct. The store didn't even have a nicer DI but I couldn't have afforded it anyway, but if I hadn't been on a whim I never would have bought it. Have to say I'm not all that impressed with it, but it's there when I need it. It's a direct copy of another manufacturer's box of course.

Can't argue--even those of us who don't care for Behringer still have used their stuff at some point. *sigh* Of course, I hate WalMart, McDonalds, and so-on also but that doesn't mean I've never been to any of those places. Let's be realistic here...

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

That's probably pretty accurate. Cost of manufacture overseas hasn't been lower ever.

Boy, I'll say. What a time to be young, poor, and wanting to start a band. Mixers are dirt cheap and amps with LOTS of power are cheap. Of course, this situation doesn't apply to speakers....plywood and driver components still cost the same, although there have been refinements and improvements. However, drivers from the Far East, Europe (and Kentucky) can provide some alternatives to those high JBL prices.

Archived