Yorkville Stuff for Keyboards?

• Members

I put this up in the keyboard forum, but replaces have been scarce (re: none).

I'm a keyboard player still looking for ways to replace my old Peavey KB100 with something a bit louder, but more specifically, stereo. Most other gigging keyboard players here seem to prefer bringing a pair of cabs and a powered mixer. Since Yorkville stuff is pretty easy to get here, I'm looking at a system like this:

Yorkville MicroMIX MP10DS powered mixer; stereo; 160W per channel

+

(x2) Yorkville Elite E10 Loudspeaker; 10" + 1" drivers; 200W program

Typical use will be in bar-types with a blues/classic rock cover band; piano, organ, misc sounds of the era. The other main concern is I don't have a van, SUV, or any other unusually large vehicle, so being compact is a bonus. Any pros/cons to this system?

- Green

Edit: I just noticed Yorkville's NX12 loudspeakers have a 250W program, a 12" & 1" driver, *and* cost less. Is there a catch or would this be way obviously better than the E10 loudspeakers?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey fellow Canadian...since no one smarter answered I'll have a go.

I'm not a keyboard player but annoy one in my band.

I have an old Kb100 that I use for a/e guitar. At 75 watts, it sounds louder than one would think. Have you considered simply getting another one (they are pretty cheap used). You'd be louder and have stereo. On the other hand they have a piezzo tweeter for the highs which makes them a tad harsh. They are also big an awkward to move as you no doubt are aware. They do have a 15" woofer however and give pretty good sounding lows. My keyboard player used to use it but now has his own Roland KC300 keyboard amp rated at 100 watts with a 12" woofer and a 1" compression driver. ..smoother highs but weaker lows and not as loud as the Peavey (not all watts are created equal ;)

Essentially I think you would be better off with a 15" woofer and a 12" at the outside. The Yorkville Elite E10 has a 10" and seems to be primarily intended for vocals. I don't believe you will get the bass response you would be looking for from organ and synth sounds.

Yorkville has multiple lines of speakers:

TX - top of the line tour grade

Elite - lower than the TX but still excellent quality

Pulse

Performance - bargain

The NX stuff seems to sit somewhere between the Elite and Pulse the primary difference being that the cabinets are made from plastics and are lighter. They are cheaper than the Elites because they use less expensive components. There are a few people on this forum that have them and are happy with them. ..good sound, light weight, durable. I've haven't heard the

NX s but the Elites I've heard sound great.

If you haven't already head down to Long & McQuade and try them out side by side (I'd drag down the KB100 as a baseline).

The MicroMix MP10DS is interesting...2 channels rated at 160 watts @8 ohms each. The jump from 75 watts to 320 should be quite noticeable. It's optimized for 8 ohms and actually produces less power at 4 ohms. It really is stereo (has a channel PAN). You didn't mention how many keyboards. Each keyboard will chew up two channels.

At 250 watts program (125 RMS) for the NX20 you would be underpowering them a bit but nothing serious as long as you don't drive the MP10DS into clipping. I've got the MicroMix MP8DX (400 + 200 watts) and it's worked great for me (hobby band)

The question is, do you really need stereo. The conventional wisdom here is that running stereo in a rock band situation is fairly pointless...very few people will get the stero effect and most will only hear one side or the other.

Are you running keys through the PA as well or does this setup have to do the heavy lifting. If this is a stage monitor setup for you then again the stereo may be of limited value. Personally on stage, I like hearing the stereo setup from keys but it's an individual decision as to wheter or not it's worth the additional money and hauling around the gear.

With 3 pieces of PA gear compared to the one KB100 you have a net increase in cubic volume but the individual pieces are smaller and easier to move...should still fit in the back seat of a car.

A small PA also gives you some flexibility since you could use it a vocal only system for rehearsals and smaller gigs.

Good luck,

Doug

Archived