Increasing SPL

• Members

I got one of these.

NA210.jpg

I love it but its not super loud.

Is it possible to increase its 'loudness' by changing speakers?

Specs say Sensitivity 100 db/SPL.

Can this be improved merely by changing to a more efficient speaker?:confused:

• Members
Originally posted by D Aussie

I got one of these.

NA210.jpg
I love it but its not super loud.

Is it possible to increase its 'loudness' by changing speakers?

Specs say Sensitivity 100 db/SPL.

Can this be improved merely by changing to a more efficient speaker?
:confused:

What is it,similar to a hot spot? What size speakers? If that 100db rating is honest and at the standard watt/meter,that is a very high efficiency. You won't get much better than that. But if it is a Hot Spot type of thing,I would question their rating.

• Members

looks more like a 210(T?) bass cab to me.

i dunno what the drivers are, but more efficient drivers will generally give you a slightly louder sound. not terribly much, unless your present drivers are really POS.

or, you could get drivers with a higher wattage rating - provided your amp has the headroom etc.

just my $0.02

AS

• Members

Is this for your Bass rig, or for the PA?

Sensitivity ratings are useful, but are not the only spec to look at. A higher sensitivity usually goes hand-in-hand with limited low frequency bandwidth and excursion. A higher sensitivity is also acheived by making the driver lighter - meaning a "Less Durable" voice coil and poor heat dissapation for lower long-term power handling.

For a Bass guitar, you would be willing to sacrafice a few dB's of efficency to get the lower octave and increase power handling for reliability.

For a stage vocal monitor, you may need the highest sensitivty you can get since the lower octave is useless in vocals.

Let us know your application, and what you plan on driving this with - and what will be played through it if a stage monitor.

Later :cool:

• Members

Sorry fellahs, I thought it was instantly recognisable, just because it is to me.

http://www.eden-electronics.com

http://www.eden-electronics.com/nemesis.html

http://www.eden-electronics.com/NC210P.html

Its an Eden Nemesis NC210P bass amp. 200W 2x10 with a {censored}ty horn.

I use it as my main amp for upright bass for Irish trad music. Nice and light. Here it is in context.

ANewBigRig.jpg

• Members

That's a really old CS-800... not known for being a really powerful amp in the real-world sense of the word. Not bad for it's time, but limited.

Here are some random thoughts:

I wonder how the efficiency is rated... is it average or peak efficiency? You may never know if the marketing department doesn't want you to.

Size affects the efficiency of the lower range of the box, and sometimes altering the driver parameters may increase the bottom end at the expense of average and mid-band efficiency in an undersized box.

They may have accepted a longer voicecoil overhang which will improve low frequency linearity at the expense of mid-band efficiency.

Oh, I see that it's a combo... it's possible that the 200 watt amp is not able to deliver 200 watts into the reactive (actual) speaker load, but measures well into a lab resistive load. This is way more common than you might think.

The compressor/limiter may have a sliding threshold that really reduces the effective power delivered to the speakers. How does it sound without the on-board compressor?

• Members

Well the CS800 is used to drive the 15" EVs as subs crossing over at 100Hz and leaving the over 100hz to the 2x10.

But I have no need for a monster rig like that at present, so Im just carrying the 2x10 and running to the PA for FOH.

Having said that, the CS800 effectively is a paperweight at home now, not being used.

Efficiency rating.. dunnow..like you said, unlikely to find out either.

Yep, its a combo, and it is loud enough for most applications.

I was just wondering if it could be got louder, you know?

I have stopped using the onboard compressor. Its fine for bass geetar but feels blobby with upright.

• Members

Darren:

The Nemisis is one of the most efficient combos out there. Its limitation is power. Unfortunately, the big round tone that sounds so good by itself gets lost in the mix. The tone I get with my upright sounds awful by itself but is what I have to use to be heard around the rest of the instruments.

Turn down the bass and turn up the mids and the highs and try not to listen to it alone. BTW, I think the DI out is pre-EQ on that combo so what you do with the amp will not affect your PA tone.

• Members

Originally posted by J the D

Darren:

The Nemisis is one of the most efficient combos out there. Its limitation is power. Unfortunately, the big round tone that sounds so good by itself gets lost in the mix. The tone I get with my upright sounds awful by itself but is what I have to use to be heard around the rest of the instruments.

Turn down the bass and turn up the mids and the highs and try not to listen to it alone. BTW, I think the DI out is pre-EQ on that combo so what you do with the amp will not affect your PA tone.

Good information!

• Members

Thanks fellahs.

Ill just leave it be.

I was just wondering if I could squeeze a bit more out of it, thats all.

Im happy with the unit and its loud enuf for most gigs we are doing now. I have my eyes peeled for another tho. 2 of 2x10s would be nice.;)

Archived