which speakers would be good?

• Members

I want to get new speakers for my PA I use for smaller clubs. I've had the PA for about five years now and the sound just isn't cutting it in terms of cleanliness. The amp is a Peavey XR-560 150W. The current speakers are (yikes) Peaveys too. I'm assuming that I CAN use other speakers for it, right? What would you recommend for the most crisp sound? I really know nothing about speakers and I'd appreciate anyone's help. Thanks!

• Members
Originally posted by Rockstar97

I want to get new speakers for my PA I use for smaller clubs. I've had the PA for about five years now and the sound just isn't cutting it in terms of cleanliness. The amp is a Peavey XR-560 150W. The current speakers are (yikes) Peaveys too. I'm assuming that I CAN use other speakers for it, right? What would you recommend for the most crisp sound? I really know nothing about speakers and I'd appreciate anyone's help. Thanks!

What model of Peavey speakers are they? They may or may not be fine. The biggest problem I see is no power. You may need to address that regardless of how good the speakers may be.

• Members

150w?? That's nothing! I bet some more power would make a world of difference. How much are your speakers rated to handle? Prolly more than 150w...if not, you'd probably want more power AND more efficient speakers...

Give us the model on those speakers. The more info you give, the better we can help...

• Members

That's the same amp that my school replaced a CE4000 with at my school.

Jeez.

I feel sorry for those Community cabs:(...

But yeah - if you power a MI grade set of cabs with a good pro power amp, it usually sounds much better than if you used a cheaper amp.

• Members

I think SoundtechSD has the right idea. Though I think you should buy a new mixer/power amp setup first and see what your speakers can actually do. But....if you do insist on buying new speakers first, save up for the best ones you can afford, then save some more and get a set of speakers you can use for the next 10 years.

FWIW any set of speakers that you drive with a 150 watt/channel amp will not do what you want it to. It takes power my friend. Power and appropriately matched speakers.

• Members

The set up my band uses for club shows is simple,great sounding and affordable.We have a Mackie 808s mixer/head and 2 Peavey SP7x speakers FOH. That's it and we have way more power than we need for small clubs and the Peavey SP7x speakers sound so good.Total cost brand new $2300....worth every penny.Yeah a 150w mixer head won't cut it.Check out a Mackie even the 408's would be good for your use and they kick.

• Members
Originally posted by Retrospex

The set up my band uses for club shows is simple,great sounding and affordable.We have a Mackie 808s mixer/head and 2 Peavey SP7x speakers FOH. That's it and we have way more power than we need for small clubs and the Peavey SP7x speakers sound so good.Total cost brand new $2300....worth every penny.Yeah a 150w mixer head won't cut it.Check out a Mackie even the 408's would be good for your use and they kick.

What kind of music? That wouldn't come close to cutting it in the clubs we play.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

What kind of music? That wouldn't come close to cutting it in the clubs we play.

Yeah I used a pair of slightly more efficient Yorkvilles (3db more @ 1w/1m) in conjuction with an 808S. Barely adequate for a medium sized bar, definately could have used more power/volume but then again the 340 watts @ 4 ohms from the mackies was a good match for my speakers. OTOH throwing 340 Mackie

Archived